Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to added up a Resistor Value using misc values

danny davis

May 9, 2012
what confused me was the schematics values and bags are all mixed up

plus alot of the resistor package values from different brands or wattage change the package numbers which get confusing too

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Almost. 69.8k should be 69K8, not 69R8. :p

Foiled again... :cool:

what confused me was the schematics values and bags are all mixed up

Nothing appears mixed up, you just fail to have a grasp of the 4 digit code used on SMD resistors...

plus alot of the resistor package values from different brands or wattage change the package numbers

Nope, the 3 and 4 digit codes as well as the color banding code is pretty much always the same... I won't say always because there probably is some proprietary markings out there, but all the major manufactures I have ever dealt with stick to the standards...

3 digit code is primarily for 5% resistors
4 digit code is primarily for 1% resistors (or at least better then 5%)

Wattage is primary dictated by package size, but some companies do vary in this regard but generally it's in your favor with a better then normal wattage for that package...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
3 digit code is primarily for 5% resistors
4 digit code is primarily for 1% resistors (or at least better then 5%)

Zero ohms is 3 digit code is 000
Zero ohms is 4 digit code is 0000

R is not used in 3 digit code
R is only used in 4 digit code

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
R is not used in 3 digit code

This is the only one I'd take issue with.

Note that resistors under 1 ohm may require special markings too. How do you mark 0.027 ohms with 3 digits?

Those very low values are pretty rare in most cases, so you may be able to ignore them.

However the best advice comes (as usual) from datasheets.

Since were talking generalities right now, you're best advised to look at something like a document describing SMD markings for resistors. Here is one from Vishay.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
What are shunt resistors used for? to do what?

What are Jumpers used for? to do what?

Wow, you really need to learn the basics...

G
O
O
G
L
E

danny davis

May 9, 2012
are they really called markings? i thought they were called package numbers right?

No really what are shunt resistors and jumper resistors used for in circuits, can i do see them in circuit but don't know how to use them if you're designing a circuit board

danny davis

May 9, 2012
yea but i want to know what have you see shunt resistors and jumper resistors used for in circuits or in circuit designing

You're my google too from your own knowledge

What have u seen in your experiences

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have seen (and used) shunt resistors to shunt things.

I have used jumpers to jump things, but also to link things (they're also called links)

You're not near the LA Zoo are you?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
yea but i want to know what have you see shunt resistors and jumper resistors used for in circuits or in circuit designing

I have personally seen them used for the same reasons you will find in a GOOGLE search...

You're my google too from your own knowledge

Huh? I already know what they are, when they are help full and what they are used for... I have and will continue to use them on occasion in my own designs, and I see them all the time in other commercial (and hobbiest) designs... No need for me to spoon feed you, sometimes it's best to work your own noodle and learn...

What have u seen in your experiences

You first, as you have previously said you, yourself have seen them, so as a repair tech, what were they doing and what was their purpose in the circuit?

Last edited:

danny davis

May 9, 2012
I have seen them , but i had no idea why or how they were used
The techs at my jobs would just tell me that shunt resistors and jumper resistors are for designers that don't know what they are doing and its a poor design

Thats why they are using them

Is this true or not?

I have and will continue to use them on occasion in my own designs

and used for what? to do what

and I see them all the time in other commercial (and hobbiest) designs

What were they used for please?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The techs at my jobs would just tell me that shunt resistors and jumper resistors are for designers that don't know what they are doing and its a poor design

Your techs are arrogant and full of themselves... And also incorrect...

Is this true or not?

Could be, or could not be... There are certainly lazy reasons to use them and there are fully legit and practical reasons to use them...

and used for what? to do what

You know you could have had your answer over an hour ago if you simply devoted 5 minutes of you own time educating yourself instead of asking me or someone else to spoon feed you the answer?

What were they used for please?

You have been told already, and you have been pointed to a wealth of knowledge on said subject matter... I can't help you if you refuse to help yourself...

Are you scared of Google? Why do you have such a stern fast reluctance to using it?

danny davis

May 9, 2012
I have seen 1 ohm shunt resistors to know what the current in the stage is

I have seen those bare wire jumps that look like staples on PCBs , but i have no idea why a designer or circuit would need those and used for

What resistor value can I use in parallel with any resistor value thats on a PCB that can be like a break or open resistor ? would it be a 10Meg or what value please? that can be used with any resistor value in parallel?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No resistor at all is the best option for an open circuit.

I wire link and a jumper and a zero ohm resistor can all be used for the same things. Either to join stuff together that you can't route a track to (jumping over other conductors) or to act as a configuration device (like a switch, but harder to change)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I have seen 1 ohm shunt resistors to know what the current in the stage is

We are talking about zero ohm resistors here, please don't deviate...

I have seen those bare wire jumps that look like staples on PCBs , but i have no idea why a designer or circuit would need those and used for

Did you ever bother to see what they where doing? What they were connected to? Do you think they might have a purpose or are they purely decorative?

What resistor value can I use in parallel with any resistor value thats on a PCB that can be like a break or open resistor ? would it be a 10Meg or what value please? that can be used with any resistor value in parallel?

One that looks like this... See attached, they are easy to make...

attachment.php

Attachments

• open_res.jpg
    open_res.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 166

danny davis

May 9, 2012
No resistor at all is the best option for an open circuit.

What component would be to place in parallel with another resistor of any value?

Either to join stuff together that you can't route a track to (jumping over other conductors)

Why can't u route a track to join stuff together i don't get it?

Why would i want to jump over other conductors?

or to act as a configuration device (like a switch, but harder to change)

what do u mean, i don't get it

danny davis

May 9, 2012
I have no idea what those jumpers that look like staples were used for, but i have seen them in alot of circuits and designers