Connect with us

how replace mechanical pot with an IC digital pot

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JJoll, Jul 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JJoll


    Jul 7, 2013
    hi everyone,
    I want to know how to replace mechanical pot (used to control volume) with an IC digital pot in a "HEADPHONE EXTENSION CORD":
    I need to do this because I would like to control the volume through arduino connected to digital pot, and since I have never used digital pot, I would like to know how? any idea how it works and how to replace it?
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    1) First find your digital pot chip.

    2) Next look at the datasheet for it.

    3) Follow the instructions.

    I suggest you do step (2) and determine how difficult step (3) will be before purchasing the chip.

    There are many chips and I would hazard a guess that all will have some volume control application shown in their datasheet.

    HOWEVER: Be aware that volume control chips are designed for signals and not power. You may well find that the range of resistance is different than the device you have and that it is not suited for use in this application without a subsequent amplifier.

    CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

    May 8, 2012
    Check out the AD5228(DigPot) data sheet but all of what Steve said applies here, especially the driver issue because it's not meant to drive 30 Ohm loads. IE. it's not a power handling component.


    CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

    May 8, 2012
    Here's another to Google: AD5220 DigPot

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day