Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How does frequency affect voltage

aviel

Nov 23, 2013
I know some of the basics concerning frequency but I have a few questions.

1. If you take a 9V battery and design a circuit with a simple LED using an oscillator before the LED, would the change in frequency affect the LED'S output and/or operation.

2. Same example Does an electrical circuit create its own frequency? Or is frequency caused only by oscillators or rotating magnetic fields.

For example, 60 hz AC is caused by the rotating magnetic field produced by the generators at the power plant. They turn 60 times a second,no?

3. If you increase frequency, is there a point where it affects the potential difference in the circuit.

9v battery with a basic led. 9 volts enter an oscillator whuch produces a freq of 2hz and then from there it enters the LED and then returns to the source.

9 volts enter an oscillator which produces 60 hz and then enters the led and returns to the source.

I just want to know what effect frequency has on voltage or components. If the voltage remains constant, how does frequency change operation of the led.

Do electrical components have frequency requirements?

Thanks for the help guys and gals

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
1. If you take a 9V battery and design a circuit with a simple LED using an oscillator before the LED, would the change in frequency affect the LED'S output and/or operation.

Well, if that oscillator is turning the LED on and off, a change in frequency will change the rate at which it turns on and off.

At some point, while the LED is still actually turning on and off, your eye will perceive it to be on all the time.

At even higher frequencies capacitive and inductive effects may change the operation

2. Same example Does an electrical circuit create its own frequency? Or is frequency caused only by oscillators or rotating magnetic fields.
Well, you can create a signal with a frequency by manually turning a switch on and off, or by spinning a disc with one or more holes in front of a photodetector, or any of a multitude of other ways.

But none of this is "creating its own frequency" (which is a meaningless term) it's just creating a signal with a characteristic frequency, or something like that.

For example, 60 hz AC is caused by the rotating magnetic field produced by the generators at the power plant. They turn 60 times a second,no?
Let's say yes.

3. If you increase frequency, is there a point where it affects the potential difference in the circuit.
Frequency can change the relative resistance (called reactance) of various components, so strictly the answer is yes. But of itself, frequency and potential difference are independent.

9v battery with a basic led. 9 volts enter an oscillator whuch produces a freq of 2hz and then from there it enters the LED and then returns to the source.

9 volts enter an oscillator which produces 60 hz and then enters the led and returns to the source.

I just want to know what effect frequency has on voltage or components. If the voltage remains constant, how does frequency change operation of the led.
This will have almost no difference on the voltages you see in the circuit (at your level of understanding, I would say "none at all") However at 2Hz you would see the LED blinking, at 60Hz it would appear to be on continuously.

Do electrical components have frequency requirements?
Requirements? Not really.

Does their behavior change at varying frequencies, yes.

For example a normal LED can turn on and off very quickly, but if you want a LED which can be used to send a signal with 1 billion transitions per second, you need a very special LED.

edit: and many components (inductors and capacitors are the simplest examples) change their behaviour with frequency (as they are designed to do).

I hope these answers help.

Last edited:

aviel

Nov 23, 2013
Thanks

I really appreciate someone taking the time to answer these questions. I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag. I've designed an HHO machine for power generation. The problem I am experiencing is maximizing output without adding weight to the cell. I figured if I added an oscillator in the circuit, the frequency would aid separation of the Hydrogen and Oxygen in the water molecules. My cell does not use any type of solution apart from water.

If I can get the right frequency to break apart the water molecules, it would change how much voltage the cell needs.

:confused:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I really appreciate someone taking the time to answer these questions. I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag. I've designed an HHO machine for power generation.

The best you'll get is power storage. The amount of energy required to break the bonds between the atoms in a water molecule will never be less than the amount released when they are formed.

The problem I am experiencing is maximizing output without adding weight to the cell.

You need to minimise losses. Some of those losses can me minimised by keeping the electrodes close to each other. This means you can't easily keep the H2 and O2 separated, so you store them both together.

It's more dangerous, and less efficient if you want to store them under pressure -- but if you're not storing them under pressure, you may gain a bit of efficiency.

I figured if I added an oscillator in the circuit, the frequency would aid separation of the Hydrogen and Oxygen in the water molecules. My cell does not use any type of solution apart from water.

Nope.

If I can get the right frequency to break apart the water molecules, it would change how much voltage the cell needs.

Nope.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Your cell does use a solution. Pure water is an excellent insulator, it is the impurities in the water which allows current to pass.

High power valves (tubes) are sometimes cooled by water with thousands of volts across the pipes. The water has to be very pure.

aviel

Nov 23, 2013
I really appreciate the information. I'm glad I joined this forum.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Aviel. Have a look at the SEC (Spatial Energy Coherence ) device currently doing a phase of open source replication and evaluation. As demonstrated by Dr Stiffler.
This video
and
demonstrates one of the circuits he is looking for open source independent replicators for. If anyone was to study his work (which is easy as its open source) they would find that there do seem to be efficiency gains to be had at the right frequency. Also that with the use of coil electrodes in the right way, the gasses can be separated. Even when the electrodes are very close. This is a fairly new device. Its only been in testing for a year of two as a water electrolyzer. So it will be a while before Dr Stiffler has the replication and repetition data he needs to do a proper report on the device. All his plans and schematics etc are available for free. Its an easy one to build. Johnny davro youtube channel has a few simplified versions for beginners. If I remember correctly the simplest one can be made from any random inductor, a small high speed transistor, such as a 2n2222, and a couple of pie tins or other aluminum body that serves as a feedback trigger https://www.electronicspoint.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10577&stc=1&d=1385420798 (I dont think johny davro's ones are used for gas production, more for lightning LEDS etc). Its a very interesting device.... quite a few strange effects seem to be going on...

I've seen a few other people around the place getting some results using AC frequency to improve efficiency of browns gas production. (or hho as its oftern called) The SEC is the only one I have seen with halfway decent testing being done.

Attachments

• JDSEC.jpg
    JDSEC.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 311

aviel

Nov 23, 2013
This is exactly what I want to do. I want to experiment with different voltages and currents over time. There has to be a point where the optimal output is achieved.