Connect with us

how do you test klixon

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by spaceman, Nov 13, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    I have a klixon for a magic chef fridge that I think is broke. Does anybody know how to test this part to see if its operating correctly ?
    I read on the web that it is usually this part when the fridge breaks. I also bought a relay ( 275-0206 ) years ago from radio shack and would like to know if i can modify that if necessary to make fridge works.The radio shack relay has 8 pins.
    I went to a used appliance part's web site and they are asking too much for parts. I don't like to pay a lot of money for parts.
    If someone has a klixon I can probably trade assuming I have something you want.
    One other thing. Does anybody know if Frigidaire bought out magic chef ?
    Thanks for any replies.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Are there any markings on the klixon to indicate its ratings?

3. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    i think so. I have to put under magnifying glass but will get back to the post.

4. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    the klixon is a 314tfbyy. I could not find any tech specs regarding its rating. However the internet readily brings up that part with pic by typing in that part number. Evidently there is a large selection of small refrigerators that use that klixon. If someone knows were I can find the specs on that part please let me know. Thanks for any feedback.

5. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Tfbyy TFB is open circuit temp 140deg C & close temp is 69deg C. YY is 240V rating. Its a fridge compressor start module using either a thermal disc or PTC pellet to kick start the start windings. When is cool there should be continuity from the Line conection to the start winding conection.

6. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    there is only two contacts with the klixon. So if im getting this right any continuity will indicate the klixon is good ?
    At what ohm rating ? also how would i check if the klixon is not failing before the 140 C ?

7. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Heres a pic of checking the resistance of this particular one @ 1.6 Ohm. It should be some where near this if its ok. You should use only the same starter for your compressor as the incorrect one may burn out the compressor. They are all diferent to suit a particular size compressor. PTC.1.JPG PTC.2.JPG PTC.3.JPG

8. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Realy could do with some more information, Does the compressor try & start? You may need to post a picture of the copmpressor Model & a the pins on the side of the compressor. It may also have burnt out Start windings.

9. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    Im not getting a reading , but i think its this crappy cheap meter im using. Im gonna to have to go over my neighbors house tomorrow and borrow his. Thanks for posting the pics. I will post tomorrow what readings I get.
    I never smelled any burning from the compressor so Im assuming all is good there. Of course if the klixon test good then that would be next step.

10. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    Im getting a reading of 11.1 ohms on a good meter. Does this indicate the klixon is bad ?
    I will try a restart on the refrigerator . i will get back to post after I try it.

11. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    I put the magic chef back together , and it works now. I have no idea why it didn't work before except now its in a garage were the temps are cooler. Did not find any corrosion or frayed wires. I would really like to know what the ohm values for the klixon should be. The model number of the fridge is MCBR415S. If anyone knows were I can find that info i would much appreciate it. I might try emailing magic chef and see if that's something they will share.
    They might say go buy the tech manual. arrrghhh

12. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Realy need pictures of the compressor & its terminals with the wiring on it & with out. Not all compressors are the same. The start windings are always a higher resistance than the run windings. These are pictures of an older Kirby compressor Just to give you a sample. COMP TERMINALs.JPG RES RUN, 22 ohm.JPG RES START, 50 ohm.JPG

13. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    You posted while I was putting this up. It is possible either the start module is faulty or the ambient temperature was too high.

14. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    okay thanks, here's hoping it was

15. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    update, I can see the klixon sparking and snapping trying to bring on the compressor. The temp in the garage is 50F. But the refrigerator will not run now, but attempts to. This just happened when I went out there to check on it.

16. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    i took ohm reading readings across start & run .The start is 4.3 and the run 8.3. I will get compressor info & post. I do not have cell phone with camera so I cant do pics.

17. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    okay, the compressor is a 1 pin 115volt LG MA53LBCM
    K0000220069210140

18. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Your Klixon part is the Compressor Overload device & its obviously working. Your problem is most likely a faulty PTC starter, If its not working properly it will cause the Klixon to disconnect the compressor & it will comtinue to do that until the fault is fixed. This picture should be your compressor. LG. MA53 COMP.1.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    spaceman likes this.
  19. spaceman

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
    Okay, thanks, that really really helps a lot. Any idea were I could find a ptc starter to fit this compressor ?

20. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    Need details off the starter as they are matched to the compressor current draw.

Ask a Question