Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do you PROPERLY split a wire into two or three ?

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
I need to split 220v AC main voltage into 3 branches. the maximum current going through them is 1A. So one side carrying 3A and another side has three wires, each carrying 1A.

The only option came to my mind was to solder the wires and use heat shrink tubes or electrical tape to secure the junction. I suspect there must be a better way.

I am wondering how do you do this professionally ?

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
The standard j-boxes that we have in the states for mains wiring don't have screw terminals. If that is the case in your neck of the woods, a j-box and wire nuts would be the universally accepted professional method. Twist the wires together then twist on the wire nuts. Make sure the j-box you use has the appropriate entrance protection - steel boxes require an insert to prevent shorting of the wires to the box, plastic boxes typically have a built in wire retention device.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You would want to find out what local electrical code requires. Here in the U.S you would use a junction box, and wire nuts to join the wires.

Bob

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Extract from a Thailand wiring website. http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/DIY.html

It is NEVER, EVER, EVER acceptable to just twist and tape wires together, get your electrician to use Wire Nuts (also known as a BP, cone, thimble, Marrette or Marr connectors) and finish with tape. These connectors should be protected by a junction box and not left hanging in space. The use of a UK style junction box (which have captive connectors) would be my preference, but I've never seen the like here.

I didn't realise you guys used wire nuts. They were banned in the UK 50 years ago because they were made from ceramic and used to crack.
Adam

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
Alright I looked those junction boxes up, they are prefect. But I forgot to mention that this split is going to happen inside my power supply which has three transformers, all need their primary winding to be connected to 220v AC.

I found these junction boxes bulky and I can't assign that much space inside my device for them. They are half of my palm hand !

Can I use these terminal blocks instead :
DG8H-03P.jpg

I will twist three wires into one side and another single wire in another side, and I will secure them with nuts.
Sound's OK ?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes you can. Make sure they have the correct current rating.
Adam

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
Electron flow is a Mechanical function and is therefore slow. An EM wave is an Electronic function and travels at the speed of light

Is this your own saying ?

It is interesting.

Have scientists found what actually happens in event of current flowing into a wire ? Do really electrons move in physical dimension or some mysterious thing happens; giving this illusionery conclusion to us that electrons mechanically move.

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
Oh I edited my post and explained why I found it interesting.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
They certainly do move in a d.c circuit and vibrate in an a.c circuit. My saying came about from a joke in the office about how slow the mechanical engineers were compared to us the electronics engineers. But I tried to keep it as factual as I could. The only thing missing at the end is the words "in a vacuum"

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
... forgot to mention that this split is going to happen inside my power supply which has three transformers...
I would probably just get a power supply fuse holder with large solder terminals and attach the 3 transformer primary leads to that (assuming that the wires are sized for 1 A current).

Ehsan

Jun 12, 2014
I would probably just get a power supply fuse holder with large solder terminals and attach the 3 transformer primary leads to that (assuming that the wires are sized for 1 A current).

Wow That's the best solution ! I DO have a fuse holder in there. I'll use that.