Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do you install a power dimmer on a foam cutter tool?

Sailboy42

Oct 14, 2019
For STEM project I am making a heat cutter for foam and plexiglass using... a glow plug.
It’s being placed in a PVC pipe and it’s has to run for a few minutes. It will mostly likely be running at 12v 10amps.

I would like to install a power moderator as to not have it operate at its max temp 100% of time. But I don’t know what, or how to install a dimmer onto it. I’m thinking maybe like a dremel kind of thing. Any suggestions?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
No idea what a STEM project is, however, most foam cutters at least, run nichrome wire on 24v transformer with a standard light dimmer on the primary.

Reason being the current requirements are much lower.

My system here for cutting foam cores up to 1 metre long uses a 200va transformer with 2 * 20v windings in series @ 5A secondary.

You don't say what glow plug or how you intend to cut with that. All lacking information really.

If you insist and need to directly regulate 12v @10A , then use a pwm speed control of appropriate size.
You most certainly will have to use a rather large heatsink on the output driver.

Sailboy42

Oct 14, 2019
Let me give you more detail. The Glow Plug being used is the Zn-11. It’s weird because glow plugs are really only meant to run no more then 10 secs. However I’ll be running this for a few minutes so I’ve had to put a lot of research to finding a correct power usage.

STEM stands for Science. Technology. Engineering. Math
This is a type of class I’m enrolled in.

upload_2019-10-14_19-57-58.jpeg
that is what I am trying to create. Just more safe and for other students to use.
It is really meant to be portable, but I have yet to figure out where to find or connect a proper battery to it. At the moment I’m planning on using a ac to dc wall adapter.

Could you describe your last part about the output driver? I don’t know what that is.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Could you describe your last part about the output driver? I don’t know what that is.

It's the output transistor or mosfet in a driver circuit.
Because of the high currents involved, it is likely that it will need some form of heat transfer especially if not driven hard on.

You do realise there are wood burning tools out there already..???
Might be difficult to find a portable one though unless you want to hump a car battery or similar with you .

Wood Burner Pyrography Pen Burning Machine

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wood-Bu...386013?hash=item1f0052651d:g:2yQAAOSw1V5dX6gI

Sailboy42

Oct 14, 2019
It's the output transistor or mosfet in a driver circuit.
Because of the high currents involved, it is likely that it will need some form of heat transfer especially if not driven hard on.

You do realise there are wood burning tools out there already..???
Might be difficult to find a portable one though unless you want to hump a car battery or similar with you .

Wood Burner Pyrography Pen Burning Machine

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wood-Bu...386013?hash=item1f0052651d:g:2yQAAOSw1V5dX6gI
Oh, I know they make them, but I want to build one.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Ok, just be aware of the cost.
The one I pointed to was around $48.00.
If "portable" then the battery system alone will cost at least that much.