Connect with us

How do you connect all the voltages together into one?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Electro132, Nov 6, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi,

I am currently studying how to add all the voltages together at the end of a circuit. For instance, i have a 9V power supply that's going into the entire circuit and have gathered 5V from the Darlington Pair, 5V from the op amp and an extra 6V from the capacitors. The problem i am having is how do i add these all in to harness the voltages from each of the components output onto the one output? I am thinking along the lines of adding one (such as the Darlington pair) then there is some sort of gap (probably a diode to fit in perhaps?) before the next voltage is harnessed from, let's say, the op amp's output which should give me 9V + 5V + 5V = 19V at the output. I don't know how this works so if someone can explain with a bit more info, thanks heaps.

Cheers

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Circuit please

davenn likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    really makes no sense as written, please do as @Bluejets asked

4. Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
    If you had two batteries, you could connect them in series and harness the voltages from each battery into one summation voltage. Is that what you want to do?

Ratch

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    It doesn't work :(. If the maximum applied voltage in your circuit is 9V then unless your circuit includes an oscillator you won't get more than 9V out.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, it reads to me like:

I have 9 stairs. I can climb 5 or 6 or 3, or all 9. How do I add them together to get a flight of 23 stairs?

With inductors you can do something akin to running so fast up the 9 stairs that when you get to the top your momentum takes you up several more stairs that aren't even there.

With capacitors you can do something akin to climbing the stairs, strapping on a pair of stilts, and climbing them again, ending up standing on the top of the stairs on your stilts.

But unless you have separate voltage sources, you can't really just add then together.

7. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi Ratchet, yes that is what I would like to do

8. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013

Hi Steve, wouldn't having an extra 5v output at a darlington pair be a separate source as the original voltage supply is 9v?

I'm quite sure my lecture teacher had said something about it when I was still studying.

What I can remember is that the 5v can be added onto the 9v as one output giving out 14v within the circuit but something has to make sure the voltage is the same or close to as the original 9v at the other end since you can only put out what you put in. Is this correct?

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Not unless it is a completely independent power supply, not sharing any common rail.

Another option is that they share the ground rail and one of the power supplies generates a negative voltage.

Ask a Question