Connect with us

How do I use these PCBs?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Satch, Nov 15, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Satch

Satch

Nov 15, 2012
  2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You would solder the leads of the components to the pads, and then use fine wire (wire-wrapping wire) to connect the pads of different components (also soldered). Or use bare wire to connect along rows or columns of holes.

In my opinion this is not a very good prototyping technique. The wires keep breaking off if you are clumsly like me. I would look into stripboard, which is much more robust. Stripboards have all the holes in one row connected by conductors. You break the connections when necessary using a drill bit, and you connect in the other direction with wires on the top of the board. You can make boards that are much less fragile this way.

Bob

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Déjà vu I just purchased those exact boards last week, but I paid less then $9 delivered on Ebay, so you might want to shop around...

I guess that really depends on the technique used ;) Fat clumsy fingers can complicate it :) I lay down my own tracks on these type of boards with the dropped clippings from the components leads and the end result is a very robust board... For parts like resistors with long leads you don't even need to clip the legs, just bend them over and use them as the tracks... You lay the leads just off center of the holes (if you need to populate those holes) and tack it with a little solder... After all the parts are populated you can secure the leads to all the holes they pass with a flow of solder...

This technique does take some forethought, I generally lay it out on graph paper before I build so I know where the tracks are going...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The other option is a rat's nest using wire wrap wire (or the component leads themselves) to do point to point wiring.

It's quick, but it's messy. You won't want to show anyone the results.

And you won't ever want to service it.

5. Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
    As mentioned strip board is nice, due to multiple through holes on the same conductive strip, without the need to make traces, though you will still need to use some jumpers.

CocaCola, I'll have to try that idea for making traces. looks better than I had imagined it would. :)

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Yep, I keep clipped leads in a tray for future use. My wife keeps asking if they are trash.

Bob

7. Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
    LOL, I do the same, but my girlfriend doesn't even ask me about what's on my computer desk/work station. She learned long ago, to stop asking. haha

Ask a Question