Connect with us

How do I hook this up to my computer?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by DcWHaT, Dec 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. DcWHaT

DcWHaT

Dec 30, 2013
    Hey all i bought a beatmania turn table, and i want to know how to i hook it up to my computer, im sure there is a way, but im guessing that through the board it went to the main board. I dont know the board outputs data to convert it to usb. I added a picture, the prong with 5 plugs go to the encoder on the turntable, the other 6 i have no idea. I have put 5 volts where it says + and negitive to the right prong and i get a red led, then 2nd front right i get the next red led. Thank you If you need more pictures let me know.

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    do you have a manual? I can't see much that tells me what connects to what.

What you may need is a usb sound card and to interface the output of this turntable to it.

3. DcWHaT

DcWHaT

Dec 30, 2013
    No I wish I did. I do know that it is in Japanese, so even if I would acquire one I would have a hard time translating it. The turntable is from an arcade called beatmania 3 btw.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    All I can suggest is that you try to get a manual. Even if it is in Japanese, it may have technical diagrams we can interpret.

Is it a turntable, or is it some sort of game control?

5. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    What kind of output connectors does it have? Are they RCA Phono plugs? Do they plug into an amplifier?

If so, as Steve says, you'll need a sound card to convert the analogue voltage signals from the turntable into digital so your computer can process them.

A manual would be very helpful.

6. DcWHaT

DcWHaT

Dec 30, 2013
    I'll try to find the manual, it's a game control, I have no idea what it plugs into I through tot plugged into the main board but I'm not sure now.

7. DcWHaT

DcWHaT

Dec 30, 2013
    How does this encoder work?

http://www.mtl.co.jp/liste/seihin/se-17_series/se-17_series.pdf

It has this on it could I just wire this or do I need something else. I can scrap the board.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    How does it work, or what does it do?

It works by changing the amount of light that the phototransistor receives as the shaft rotates.

What it does is output a signal that goes through one complete cycle each rotation.

Note that the output is not truly AC, there will be a DC bias. Also the exact output depends on the load and power supply connections. You can't use this to detect position or direction very well because the same voltage will appear at 2 positions and continuous rotation in either direction produces the same signal.

9. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    That would have been very useful information. I thought it was an actual turntable that you were trying to interface to a computer.

The answer is to connect it to the console it's designed for.

Failing that, you'll have to get specs on the unit or the game controller interface.

10. DcWHaT

DcWHaT

Dec 30, 2013
    yeah i figured I wanted to use the rotary encoder, i know there is a way because there is a company that makes complete kits, they 300+ i dont wanna spend that kinda money. But i send pictures of what it is. Get an idea. I will rig up an old mouse and use optic sensors thank you all for you help. If you can think of anything else please hit me up.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question