Connect with us

How do I do this?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Billy10mm, Dec 7, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Oct 31, 2012
    So, I want to be able to read the amount of voltage on a particular circuit. If that voltage is at least X, keep the circuit closed and forward those electrons on down the line. If that voltage drops below X, open the circuit.

In other words, I want an self-shutoff switch for my project once the batteries run out.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I need to do this. Based on my travels, I think I need a microcontroller, but I'm really just not sure. Can someone point me in the proper direction?

I hate asking a question like this, but my Google-foo is failing me the past 2 days and I've finally broken down after another 2 hours at the computer trying to find my answer, and decided to just pull over and ask for directions.

Thanks.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    google battery low voltage monitor circuits
    there's a lot of variations, many have just LED outputs others have buzzers
    either way wouldnt be too difficult to modify to drive a relay to isolate the load from the battery :)

3. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    what voltage requirements? and I am assuming this is for solar

4. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Oct 31, 2012
    I've got a 5v circuit (USB) connected to alkalines. Once the batteries are drained, I want the circuit to open even if my on/off switch is still "on".

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    did you bother to use the topic I suggested in google ? :)

D

6. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes I did, I was answering Donkey's question, as he was nice enough to try to help me by asking about my project.

7. nikolaj123

nikolaj123

Dec 2, 2012
    Just try on google

8. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Oct 31, 2012
    If you re-read my first post, you'll notice that I did, quite a bit actually. Unfortunately, I'm totally new to the electronics world so with no idea where to start, I'm not getting very far.

I tried Davenn's suggestion, but am not sure what I am looking at.

Ask a Question