Connect with us

How do I change the number my alarm system dials?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by btrauth, Jun 24, 2010.

1. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello all new here was wondering how to change the number my alarm dials after it has been set off. I have a Ademco keypad Model #6150. Trying finding something through manuels and nothing. I am sure it can't be that hard. I thing it is a Vista 10 or 15 system. Any and all help appriecated would. I haven't had it monitered for a while and a situation came up today that I would like for me to moniter by my cell phone. Thank for the help.

2. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Btrauth, find your control box (not the keypad, the steel cabinet where the actual panel lives) and look on the inside of the door. You should find the model number at the top of a diagram of the control. If it's a Vista-10 or Vista-15, is it followed by SE or P? Do you know when it was installed? Do you know who installed it? Those answers could be important as far as how easy it'll be to direct you into panel programming.

I can give you a link to an installer's manual, but first I need to know which model you have so you aren't misled by minor differences that can bollix what you're doing. I can tell you how to program what you want, but you should have a manual for future reference and to follow directions once I know your model number.

If it was installed in the last 10-15 years, chances are you'll be able to program it to call your cell phone, but be advised it won't report specific codes like "Alarm zone 2" to a cell phone. Basically it will just notify you that an alarm has triggered without specifying what.

Also, if you plan to call the police for an alarm, be aware that you need to get the dispatching number of your nearest Police Station. "

" is NOT the number of your nearest police dispatcher, i.e., the dispatcher nearest your home.

"911" from your cell phone (or any phone) puts you in touch with an emergency response center local to where you are calling from. You might be in the next state when you get a signal from your alarm system and asking an out-of-area ERC to first locate your address on a map, then to match a local police dispatcher with it, will waste precious time you don't want to spend.

So look up your local police number. You might check to see if you can get a direct number to the emergency dispatcher.

Get back to me with an exact model number and/or any and all information you can tell me about age and origin. Also, do you have the installer code? If you don't, I can tell you how to find it (probably) but if you already have it, the process is simpler.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010
    Change number my alarm dials

Chosonone thanks for looking @ my post. I found the info you needed. I have a Vista-20P/Vista-15P panel. I also have my local dipatch number. I don't have the installer code it was installed by ADT about 8 years ago.I also know that it wouldn't tell me codes I just want it to let me know it went off. I don't use my home phone, I just have it because it was cheaper to have home plus internet service. So if I see Home show up on my cell I will know that it means alarm is going off. Thanks for looking and any info you can provide. Brian

4. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Brian, I'm sending you a PM so I don't post a widely-used Installer code on a public forum. Installer Code = IC, okay?

Once you get the IC from your mailbox, go to the keypad and:
    (1) Enter IC + 8 + 00. If the IC was valid, your display will read "20". You are now in Panel Programming. Ignore other indications on the keypad telemetry: They aren't the same in Panel Programming as in Normal Run Mode. You are only concerned with the 2-character display.

DON'T EXPERIMENT!! Don't make any entries except what I tell you. This is Panel Programming and "seeing what will happen if I do this" can make Bad Things Happen.

(2A)If you see "20" displayed, the ONLY thing you want to enter on the keypad after that is *99. That's Star-Nine-Nine! Enter it deliberately and carefully and don't maching-gun it on the keypad. That data field, unfortunately, is entirely too close to other data fields that could mess you up. Just hit *99, and you will exit programming to Normal Run mode.

(2B) If you enter IC + 8 + 00 and don't get the "20", then the number I'm about to PM you is not what's programmed for the IC. In that case, I'll have to direct you how to find your Installer Code before we can get to the dial-out number.

Post back and let me know if it worked.

EDIT:BTW, for future reference: The biggest difference between the Vista-15 and the Vista-20 is the number of zones. The 15 has 6 on-board hardwire zones and the 20 has 8 on-board HW zones. In the Vista-20P panel, 7 of the 8 on-board zones can use a "zone-doubling" feature to give a total of 15 on-board HW zones, although I don't know if ADT ever used that feature.
    As far as I know, ADT never installed the Vista-15 or Vista-10, so I think you have a Vista-20P panel--which I consider the premier panel on the market for home alarm systems--especially for Do-It-Yourselfers.

5. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010
    Change my alarm number

Chosunone thank you so much for the info, just got home from a baseball game and tryed it but nothing happened. Do I have unplug power and when it is powering back up try and enter that IC+8+100?

6. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    No, it's even simpler. I was just trying to avoid running back and forth between the panel and keypad.

Read through all the steps before you start.
    (1)Power down the panel: Unplug the transformer _and_ remove one lead from the battery in the panel box. Give it half a minute for good measure, then:

(2)Plug the transformer back in to power up (ignore the battery for now, you're in a hurry).

(3) Within 50 seconds of powering up, press the * and # keys simultaneousy. This will not work unless you do it within the first 50 seconds of power-up. If the keypad is too far from the control panel to do it in 50 sec, you will need a buddy to help.

(4A) The keypad will hopefully display "20". You are now in Panel Programming, field #20, which is the Installer Code. Enter # 20 and a series of four 2-digit numbers will scroll on the display. Ignore the left zero and read the right: I.e., a 1-2-3-4 will scroll as 01, 02, 03, 04. This is your Installer/Panel Programming code: Write it down, and press *99 (Star-Nine-Nine) and nothing else.

(4B) If the keypad does not show "20" when you do this, then your previous monitoring service may have locked you out of your panel.

Post back and let me know it that worked. Don't forget to re-connect the battery terminal.

7. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chosunone I did what you told me and it displayed a 0 in front of every number of the IC number you sent me in a private message. Sorry took so long to get back to you.

8. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    No need to apologize, I'm pretty busy myself these days. In fact, I'm about to run off now but I want to do this quickly first. I don't know when I'll be able to log back on but I'll try for later this evening.

I just caught something I missed the first time in one of your earlier posts::eek:

Oop! Sorry I didn't catch that the first time, btrauth. The correct entry sequence is: 4-digit IC + 8 + 00 (not 100) to get into panel programming.

Well, no harm done. You have your installer code now, and how to use it to go into Installer Programming.

To have the panel call your cell phone, you don't actually "change" the number it dials. Numbers for dialing a Central Monitoring Station (CS) and for dialing a pager number are two different fields (program locations). The difference is that if the panel dials a number from the CS number location and doesn't get an acknowledgement from the CS receiver, then the panel generates a communications failure Trouble condition that you'd have to get rid of later. It doesn't look for acknowledgement from a pager number.

So what you need to do is delete the old CS number(s) that might be still in panel memory; and then add a "pager" number in a different field.

(1) At the keypad, enter IC + 8 + 00.
    "20" should come up on the display. If it doesn't, don't continue. Get back to me.

Any time that something that I say should happen, doesn't happen, then take careful note at what point reality diverged from my expectations; and then enter *99 to exit programming. Do not experiment in panel programming: You don't want to instruct your panel to treat your front door as if it were a smoke detector.

So, assuming IC + 8 + 00 caused "20" to be displayed:
    (2) Enter *41* and then *42* (Star-four-one-star, and then star-four-two-star)
    This deletes any old C/S numbers in panel memory

(3) Enter *160 + [your cell number] + [*] (That's "Star-one-six-zero +cell number + Star")

(3 1/2) Enter *161 + 1*. This sets a "1" to be sent to a pager. You won't see it on your cell, but this feature was designed for pagers and I'm not sure the panel will initiate it without something it's supposed to "send".

(4) Enter *164 + 4* (Star-one-six-four-four-star)
    This activates the pager dialing and sets it to dial for alarm and trouble events.

(5) Enter *99 to exit programming. Then test. If your system hasn't been monitored for years, it's possible there might be a phone connection issue, so just be aware of that if the test doesn't work the first time.

I'm PMing you a site where you can download the Vista-20 Installation manual, and you can look at the fields I mentioned above. You'll notice some options available if your panel were dialing a pager instead of a cell phone.

These features were made back when pagers were more common than cell phones and in our current balkanized arrangement of cell services we don't expect any manufacturer to do the R&D for cell texting for a _long_ time. So we're kind of stuck with these pager options for now. Just letting you know not to get your hopes up when you see the pager options--they can't be made to work with cell phones.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chosunone thank you such much again. I did every thing you said to in your post 2 different ways. First I tried with my area code in front of my cell number and set the alarm off and nothing. Then I went back and erased my first entery and tried entering every thing again with just my cell number and set it off again and nothing. Both times waited for more than a miniute.So I went to the panel and unhooked the phone line to make sure I had a good phone line. The phone line is good because I dialed out to my cell from there. Got any ideas???? Thanks again Brian

10. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Program the number the way you dial it manually.

In diagnosing a problem long distance like this, it's important to be very specific about the details. Internet troubleshooting goes a lot slower than talking you through it over the phone. What part of the country are you in, btw? I'm in the Washington DC area, USA.

Sequence of events is critical here:
    When you say you waited both times, do you mean you waited a minute after tripping the alarm before disarming it? Or do you mean you waited a minute for the call, after disarming the system; and did you disarm it immediately after tripping the alarm?

Some systems are programmed for at least a few seconds' delay in dialing out to report an alarm. Yours also have an option to cancel dial-out if the system is disarmed before the call goes through. You need to let the alarm keep going for a minute, or until you get the call.

It's going to be noisy, so you might want to go to the control panel (in the steel cabinet) and temporily disconnect the wire(s) from Terminal # 3--that's the siren output. The keypads are going to be noise enough for you and you don't want to share the annoyance with your neighbors.

Also, when you trip the alarm, pick up a house phone. Assuming the RJ31X is wired correctly, the line on your house phone should go dead when the system's dialing out. If the test doesn't work this time, that will help narrow it down.

Sorry I didn't cover all this before, but I'd already written a lot and too much at one time adds to the confusion of an unfamiliar task. And btw, were you able to download the Installer Manual?

I'm about to leave and won't be at a computer until late tonight, but let me know how it's going. After we get this dialing thing accomplished, I have a couple of suggestions about the way your system is set up.
    For one thing, ADT has most probably left itself a back door into your system. They're unlikely ever to use it, but I personally don't like having it there.

Don't forget to reconnect the siren after the test!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  11. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

I understand doing this over the internet is difficult but I think it is going to work out. Also I live in KY just about 10 miles south of Cincinnati,OH. I was able to download the manuel. On both times I let the alarm go off for about a minute before disarming the system. I tried it agin and checked the phone for the period of time I let it go off again and nothing ever happened before disarming again. Also let it go off for about a minute. You and I think alike because I also thought off disconnecting the alarm wire before trying all off this. Thanks for all your help!!!!

12. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chosunone I was reading the manuel and found in there to run phone dialer test and I did that also. It said to enter IC+5+1 to run test and followed by 2 beeps. I did this and that is what happened.I would PM you my cell number but this dam site will not let you PM without having 15 posts aleast.Thanks Brian

13. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    If you're talking about the dialer test, I think that's done using the Master Code, not the Installer Code. And I _think_ the MC + 5 + 1 runs a test on the Central Station Monitoring Number, although I'm not sure of it.

I just got in and it's 2:00 in the morning here and I'm not going to look it up tonight. Did you pick up a house phone to see if the panel is seizing the phone line? If it isn't, then the panel isn't even trying to dial out.

I'll look over the manual tomorrow; I probably just overlooked something simple.

14. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chosunone I did pick up the home phone and nothing happened the whole time I let it go off. I read something in section 6 about checking to see if the dialer was working. I tried it and it did what the manuel said it should do.Thanks for help again. Brian

15. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    btrauth, I thought I'd better check that you got your system dialing your cell phone okay. Your last post was kind of ambiguous, but it sounded like you resolved it.

16. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chosunone I haven't resolved my dialing issue. It still will not dial out when set off.Been gone since Friday, so I havn't had a chance to mees with again yet. Any ideas of why it will not dial? Checked my home line when it is set off. Dial tone the whole time I let it go off.Thanks Brian

17. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Brian, my apologies: I overlooked the Reporting Format, field *48, which has to be set at "7" (Ademco Contact ID) for the panel to call pager numbers.

So go into programming, IC + 800,

Then *48, 7, *99,

And try again to see if it'll dial your cell phone. Let me know if that works.

18. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chusonone thanks again for the reply. I just tried what you said to do and again no dialing from the system. I checked my home phone to see ifit went dead when it went off but had dial tone the whole time i let itgo off again.Thanks Brian

19. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Drat!!

Okay, Brian, I just scanned back over the thread and I may know what's going on. The clue was that ADT installed it and presumably terminated an account with that system. If they download in the process, they get cute sometimes. But let's not jump to conclusions.

Try this:
    Go into programming again, IC + 800, and then go to *41. See what displays on your keypad and jot it down. It won't be a number, because you cleared this field, but it might be (a) letter(s).

ry entering your cell number as you would dial it from your home phone, then * again to enter it. If the panel is working for dialer fields, a "41" should be displayed after the *.
    Now press #41 and see if it scrolls your cell number back to you, one digit at a time, in 2-digit format (1, 2, 3, = 01, 02, 03).

If it does, trying setting the alarm off again and see if it dials your cell--that's not the orthodox way to go about it, but if it works.......:D

If *41 + your cell number + * + #41 does not display your cell number (or any number) back to you, then your former monitoring company has locked you out of dialer options in the software where you can't get at it without downloading software and a code that only they know.

If by some wild chance the *41 procedure works, there'll be a procedure to follow afterwards. The reason we don't normally use *41 to dial user cell phones is that it's a central monitoring station number. When your panel reaches the *41 number, it expects to hear a special "handshake" tone from the signal receiver, to let it know it can start sending whatever signal it's reporting. If it doesn't get its handshake, it will keep dialing over and over for several minutes; then it will start beeping and dispaly a FC (Failed Communication) on the keypad and you'll have to cycle power to reset it (Transformer & battery off and back on).

Try that and let me know what happens. **Crosses fingers**

20. btrauth

btrauth

Jun 24, 2010

Chusonone did what you said about entering IC+800 and *41 and it flashs the number 41 and that is it and when I hit #41 it beeps a couple of times and that is it. Also I went back and tryed to reenter the combination of IC+800 *41* *42* *160 my cell number* *1611* *1644* *99 and then went back to your last suggestion of IC+800 *41 and same thing again, it just flashs the number 41 and when I enter #41 it just beeps a couple of times. I think ADT has locked me out of programming the dam thing any ideas? Sorry took so long to get back to you have been busy and hadn't had a chance to fool with it until today. Thanks again for all that you have done so far. Brian

Ask a Question