Connect with us

how can we predict if the components???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jhayar25, Apr 25, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jhayar25

jhayar25

Mar 28, 2012
    good morning to all i want to know how can predict or to know if one electronics appliances can work in a long time of period what is the component made from what types,suply can any give me an idea im not an engnr...but i want only to know......pls help....like for example a roofmount the problem in roof mount the trouble is always blue screen im thinking why what is the main reason why can easily damage the components in dvd state?????thanks pls help me...

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    with components from all sorts of manufacturers and varying in quality and with most domestic electronics being built to the cheapest price possible. It is impossible to give any sort of "Time To Failure"
    This is very different to electronics for say... aeronautics, military etc where most if not all components will have a MTTF ( Mean Time To Failure) specification

cheers
    Dave

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may be able to compare the woring voltages, temperatures, currents, dissipation, etc of various components and see how stressed they are. More highly stressed components fail earlier.

For example, say you have a capacitor rated at 16V in a circuit where the voltage is 18V, then you can predict that the capacitor will fail far earlier than one rated at 35 volts in a circuit where it has only 25 volts across it.

This takes quite a bit of analysis, and is especially important for devices connected to the mains because you cannot control the input voltage and more margin is required to handle spikes and surges.

It may pay to operate equipment well under its rated power to extend its life. Similarly, if you place something in an environment with elevated temperatures (a roof space for example) you should de-rate it by a substantial amount.

I have a wireless router in my roof space that went through *many* power supplies (all in summer) until it finally died itself. Now I just have the antenna in the roof space and it lives happily (perhaps not ever after, but certainly longer)

4. jhayar25

jhayar25

Mar 28, 2012
    thanks a lot it is very big help to me...

Ask a Question