Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How can we Improve EP in 2017?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
That is what I ended up doing, I guess if it ain't broke don't spend any resources there! Maybe a quick FAQ sticky on writing Project Logs then?

Good idea, I'll get a FAQ written up on it and explain how it works :).

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I think we may have to stick with having PDF files as an attachment option, which could then be configured by the end user to open up within the browser if they'd like.

Not bad idea. ThankYou.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
How do you guys feel we are covered with the existing forum sections? Is there anything we are missing, or is it quite nice having a compact layout to the forum?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Somebody might have some ideas for you, but I think you've got just about everything covered well.
I'm not good with computers, but I'm wondering about this so I'll ask.
Somebody will write a post, sometimes detailed. There's probably some cut and paste way to do it, but I
use the function on my computer that will print the entire page of posts to get the one I want. I use that one
particular post to save for reference, or to use for reference when I go search for the information the post discusses.
I would like to be able to just select one post, and print that one post only.
Don't worry about it if this is a normal cut and paste function a computer does (that I am unaware of),
I just thought it would be nice to select one particular post, and print just that one post.
Anyway. Thanks Ian for this forum. I enjoy coming here each day that I can.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Somebody might have some ideas for you, but I think you've got just about everything covered well.
I'm not good with computers, but I'm wondering about this so I'll ask.
Somebody will write a post, sometimes detailed. There's probably some cut and paste way to do it, but I
use the function on my computer that will print the entire page of posts to get the one I want. I use that one
particular post to save for reference, or to use for reference when I go search for the information the post discusses.
I would like to be able to just select one post, and print that one post only.
Don't worry about it if this is a normal cut and paste function a computer does (that I am unaware of),
I just thought it would be nice to select one particular post, and print just that one post.
Anyway. Thanks Ian for this forum. I enjoy coming here each day that I can.
I'm so pleased you enjoy it here :).

There's not a way to display a single post from within the forum directly, however, depending on which browser you are using you may be able to do it another way. In Chrome, you can highlight all of the post and then right click the highlighted text and then click print - it'll print only the post you selected. If you use another browser, you could try highlighting the text, right click, copy and then paste it in to something like Word or Notepad.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
In Chrome, you can highlight all of the post and then right click the highlighted text and then click print - it'll print only the post you selected.
Ha! Tried it, and it works!

And if you're running Chrome on a Mac, the print function gives you the option of printing to a .pdf file. Sweet...

Reactions: Ian

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Success. Thanks Ian.
A little embarrassed asking you to solve my own computer problem, but thanks a lot for explaining what to do.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
How do you guys feel we are covered with the existing forum sections? Is there anything we are missing, or is it quite nice having a compact layout to the forum?

I am fine with this layout.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
And if you're running Chrome on a Mac, the print function gives you the option of printing to a .pdf file.
You can do this on PC as well, when print dialog box comes up, switch printer to PDF instead and it saves as such.

I think the layout is good. It's broad enough to allow for placement of posts without overwhelming the casual member.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
You can do this on PC as well, when print dialog box comes up, switch printer to PDF instead and it saves as such.
Interesting. When did Microsoft add that feature? I've got a Win7 machine and some WinXP machines back in the lab, and they don't offer PDF as a print option.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Interesting. When did Microsoft add that feature
I have been using the feature since XP I believe. I do not think its a Windows feature, but rather the drivers for the printer and PDF support. I have Acrobat full version 8.0 installed so that may have something to do with it as well. I really am going to miss being able to own your software with all these companies moving to cloud based software. Most of us do not need the latest gee whiz tool to get their work done, and the malarkey they claim of having the software updated and therefore more secure on the cloud is just bull... Mobile/Cloud by nature will never be more secure than a standalone device.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have been using the feature since XP I believe. I do not think its a Windows feature, but rather the drivers for the printer and PDF support. I have Acrobat full version 8.0 installed so that may have something to do with it as well.

My current Win7 system doesn't give me that option even with latest adobe pdf reader installed

but seriously, it is so easy to copy and paste a block of text into a word file. and at least that way
you can edit it, add further notes that cant be done in a pdf unless you have paid for a full pdf creator

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Maybe it is only available as a feature of the full adobe acrobat software?

It is easy enough to copy and paste. Cataloging the knowledge is another issue! Anybody have an easy way to make all these separate text or pdf files searchable?

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
I have Acrobat full version 8.0 installed so that may have something to do with it as well.
That's probably it; I only have the free Reader installed.

Most of us do not need the latest gee whiz tool to get their work done, and the malarkey they claim of having the software updated and therefore more secure on the cloud is just bull... Mobile/Cloud by nature will never be more secure than a standalone device.
My experience with "latest gee whiz" tools is that most of the new stuff added is superfluous, and rarely makes any substantive improvement while making casual use more complicated. A good example (and I know not all people feel this way, but I do) is Microchip's MPLAB-X. I downloaded it, installed it, tried it, and deleted it as nothing but bloatware. The old MPLAB 8.92 works just fine for me, though it would be nice if Microchip would update it for new chips.

As for "clouds" in general, NO WAY.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I have been using the feature since XP I believe. I do not think its a Windows feature, but rather the drivers for the printer and PDF support.
I agree.

Also one can use Primo PDF software to create PDF files of whatever he wants printed.

For example i use Prmo PDF to make pdf files of the Soldermask layer of the PCB's i make through Express PCB software.

When Primo PDF is installed then it is displayed as a printer and when you select it and press print the software starts and creates the pdf file.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
A chat room would be a plus in my opinion. One person could have something like a 'Q&A with Bubba' section where they could do weekly chats and instruct others on a given subject/project and answer any questions they may have. In addiiton, a forum dedicated to the chat room where the weekly chats can be carried on and subjects/projects be elaborated and those involved can share their experiences/photos related to the chat that week. Not sure if it would be possible, but a webcam chat could be cool too.

I hope this made sense...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe it is only available as a feature of the full adobe acrobat software?

It is easy enough to copy and paste. Cataloging the knowledge is another issue! Anybody have an easy way to make all these separate text or pdf files searchable?

maybe ?

I should note tho, that I can create a pdf file from any of the MS products eg Word or Xcel ... it's an option in the save as function

Clipboard01.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@Ian

a suggestion that another forum uses that uses the same software
a tag on the avatar indicating who is the OP ... very handy, specially when threads exceed one page

upload_2017-1-13_14-23-40.png

note that my online status green tag has moved to the right top corner and the top left corner is free for the OP tag

that particular forum also uses a points system for rating how well members are doing with their forum interaction
and it could be looked at here. I think the VIP Member tag we have here isn't really a useful indication of member value or
activity, specially when there are a few members that are not particularly helpful can hit the VIP member post count
just by posting lots of rubbish .... it makes the tags' value meaningless

here is just a snippet of the points that can be awarded and what they are for in the other forum

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/trophies

if you cannot see that without being a member let me know and I will do some screen dumps :)

Dave

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for all the feedback everyone :). Once it gets to the end of Jan/start of Feb, I'll do a bigger writeup of plans for the site based on the suggestions - so keep them coming in the meantime.

I'm not sure about the chat room idea, as I think it will detract from the forum area of the site - however I will look in to what options are available and how we could implement it. My concerns are that new members may sign up to use the chat room for "instant answers" from members, which means that there would be no thread documenting the process which would help other people with the same question (this is how a lot of people arrive on the site originally, by reading existing questions and then asking their own).

The OP tags sound like a useful design change, so I've added that to the to-do list. Perhaps the trophies system is what we can replace the VIP membership with.

Another think on the to-do list is adding tutorials on how to use site features, for example an explanation how the resources section and project log works, etc...

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
Perhaps the trophies system is what we can replace the VIP membership with.
From unpleasant experience on a few other discussion boards, I've come to dislike all systems of assigning "rank" or "status" or "rating" to members, regardless of what they are based on.

What I have seen is that they often promote disunity and conflict, as board members vie for status versus one another and engage in loud pissing matches over who is the "better" member or who has earned more awards. I've also seen it cause the formation of cliques of members who surreptitiously agree to always "like" or "agree with" one another's posts (even those which are mere banter) in order to boost their collective ranks versus those of other, similar cliques. It can get truly ridiculous. One board I participated in for a while eventually fell apart completely due to the incessant bickering caused by their over-elaborate rating system with its various medals, ribbons, awards, trophies and other assorted nonsense, and it got to the point where most of the discussion on the board was centered around member status rather than the core mission of the board. The serious people walked away in disgust at this juvenile wienie-wagging, and the board died.

Publicly displaying a member's "Likes Received" along with their join date, message count, location and country is about as far as I'll go when it comes to rating; anything more, in my opinion, is excessive.

Just my opinion, for whatever it may be worth.