Connect with us

How can I use a 220volt kitchen appliance?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Andria, Nov 21, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Andria

    Andria Guest

    I have a 220volt 600watt kitchen appliance from abroad which I would
    like to use here in the US. I am not willing to use a bulky and heavy
    converter to do this, so I thought there was no hope for this until
    recently I came across this:
    "Note that currently all new American buildings get in fact 230 volts
    split in two 115 between neutral and hot wire. Major appliances, such
    as ovens, are now connected to 230 volts. Americans who have European
    equipment, can connect it to these outlets."

    I searched to confirm this, and came across posts here indicating that
    it is.

    What I am wondering is, how do I know where it can be safely plugged

    Actually, I am living in a house from the 50s right now, so I think
    the answer is nowhere. But I would give it to a friend with a more
    modern house, if it is likely she can use it. How do we tell?

    Thank you in advance. I hope my question is not too basic for you.

  2. CFoley1064

    CFoley1064 Guest

    Subject: How can I use a 220volt kitchen appliance?
    Hi. Question isn't too basic at all.

    Most all American houses are wired like you say. In the kitchen, your best
    chance of finding 220 is if you have an electric range. There's frequently a
    220VAC outlet there. Also, if you have an air conditioner in the kitchen, look
    there. The American plugs for 220VAC usually have the two blades in line with
    each other

    ------ -------

    ( )

    instead of 110VAC, which usually look like this:

    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |

    ( )

    or this

    | ---------

    ( )
    created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

    As always, if you're not sure about what you're doing, find out. One good
    source for really basic electrical knowledge for mere mortals is the Readers
    Digest Guide to Home Repairs. Take a look in there, or just go to your library
    and look in the 630s if they've got Dewey decimal.

    If you're really not comfortable, ask someone who knows. Many times, the offer
    of a six pack of their favorite libation is enough to work wonders.

    Good luck
  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    I've either seen or fantasized house wiring where both sides of the 230V
    go to the duplex outlets, with one side (say, black) on one outlet, and
    the other (red) to the other outlet. If you have these, you could just
    have a 230V outlet installed. This should only be done by somebody who is
    qualified to work on this kind of stuff - it can kill you if you don't
    know what you're doing.

    But a stove outlet, a dryer outlet, or an A/C outlet would be ideal. I
    don't know if you can get an octopus outlet for 230, but the guy at the
    home store should know.

    Good Luck!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day