Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How can I read and forward HDMI visual data?

Crogdor

Jun 7, 2013
Recently, I built an Ambilight clone using an Arduino UNO, by following the Adalight tutorial from Adafruit.com. My friends love it, and a few have asked me to make them one. They don't have home theater PCs though.

So, I had this idea that maybe I could build a device that has an HDMI input, HDMI output, and a couple GPIO pins. The device would read the HDMI input data, determine the colors on the screen and send it to an LED strip on the GPIO pins, and simply pass all the data (unmodified) through to the output (TV).

I can't do this with an Arduino (I asked, it's way too slow for HDMI frequencies), but I found this chip online called an ADV7623. It's an HDMI transceiver, with 4 inputs and 1 output (though I'd only need 1 input). Maybe that would work... but I don't know, and that's why I'm here.

What would you guys recommend for my approach with this? Is a chip like that something I should use to get the job done? How do I go about learning how to build a device around a chip like that and write code for it? (It uses I2C, and I've learned how to write code for that and SPI interfaces, but I can't see myself wiring up a package like that, with so many tiny pins.) I really just want to get to the point where I can start coding, but I don't know how to get there from here and was hoping an expert on here could give me a few pointers.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: