Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How can I make a USB-Female to USB-Female cable?

omarbasha

Dec 19, 2011
Hello, what I'm trying to do is to make a cable that ends both sides with a USB-Female out of two cables that end with USB-Male from a side and a Female from the other side.. I have tried to cut both cables halves and reached the 4 wires inside then I tried to connect same wire colors with each other but what I found was that the first cable had Black - Green - Yellow - Blue inside and the other had Black - Green - Yellow - Brown.. So, I connected Black-Black, Green-Green, Yellow-Yellow and Blue-Brown and then I connected my phone which has Android OS from a side and a USB stick from the other side but it didn't work :( also tried with iPhone 4 and it didn't :( ..

I also tried to connect a USB mouse but nothing worked.. Is there something wrong with the wiring? or do you have another method that I should try??

Please!!! I suck at soldering so please don't tell me to solder, connecting wires will do it :)
Your help is really appreciated and thanks in advance!! tc :D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hello, what I'm trying to do is to make a cable that ends both sides with a USB-Female

That's your problem right there.

It just aint goinna work. Kinda like connecting 2 mice togther -- what do you expect to happen?

omarbasha

Dec 19, 2011
That's your problem right there.

It just aint goinna work. Kinda like connecting 2 mice togther -- what do you expect to happen?

Yeah, but I have seen online something like gender changer where you connect it to change the Male into Female.. And that's what I'm trying to do. So is there any possible way of doing it??

Last edited:

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there. normaly there is a block in between the cable in and outs of the retail units you can purchase, i think this contains a circuit that isolates the two pairs of data lines, one usb moded lead is fine, so long as power demands are not exceded, but two bus lines connected will not work, i would make two seperate cables and use a usb hub for multiple usb connections.

omarbasha

Dec 19, 2011
OK, I have found that the problem was with the two cables, they weren't for data they were only for power.. So I will try different cables and report back.. And I have a question, about that block, should the new cable that has F-F ends contain that block? or should I get rid of it and cut before it?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Pictures of what you plan to chop off before you do is an idea, i cant work out were your cut will be. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You do understand what you're doing, right?

The female end of a normal type-A USB connector is supposed to provide power and also signals from a PC (or other controller) TO the device that you plug in.

A female to female cable will connect 2 slave devices, each expecting power and control signals to be present on the cable, but neither providing it.

If you have a device that can somehow act as either a master or a slave, then it is non-standard, and the wiring of the cable (especially the D+ and D- connections) may be straight or crossed over (who knows?).

Your first step should be to determine that your device (what is it -- make and model) is "special" and that what you want to do is possible. Then try to determine if special connectors are required (I had a device which could operate as either master or slave, but it had a "special" connector with an extra pin). If you need a special connector, then no amount of wiring of normal connectors will do.

omarbasha

Dec 19, 2011
You do understand what you're doing, right?

The female end of a normal type-A USB connector is supposed to provide power and also signals from a PC (or other controller) TO the device that you plug in.

A female to female cable will connect 2 slave devices, each expecting power and control signals to be present on the cable, but neither providing it.

If you have a device that can somehow act as either a master or a slave, then it is non-standard, and the wiring of the cable (especially the D+ and D- connections) may be straight or crossed over (who knows?).

Your first step should be to determine that your device (what is it -- make and model) is "special" and that what you want to do is possible. Then try to determine if special connectors are required (I had a device which could operate as either master or slave, but it had a "special" connector with an extra pin). If you need a special connector, then no amount of wiring of normal connectors will do.

Oh! Thank you very much I didn't know that.. I'm a noob :D so thanks again.. but now I'm trying to do a Micro USB to USB Female cable.. Is that possible? I've seen some people online doing it and according to what you are saying I think it should work.. Right? :)

Windadct

May 25, 2011
Hello Omarbasha:

I have used "my cable mart" on line store for pretty much every type of cable I need - I just looked and did not see a Female to Female cable ( I believe you are not legally allowed to marry a female to a female (;-) )

But they do seem to have some gender changers - you may also find a USB wall plate which may go female to female.

Cheers,
Paul