Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How can I Identify Positive and Negative of a Speaker System

CMarangon

Feb 3, 2013
Hello!

I bought a subwoofer speaker system and it is a box closed.

Its wires has the same color. With an 1.5v battery I can easily identify their polartity, but for it I need to open the box that is welded with glue and I dont want to open the box, because it can be damaged.

How can I identify what is the positive and negative wires?
Is there another way?
To help me I have a professional digital multitester.

Any tip?

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Have you read the instructions?
Maybe the polarity doesnt matter. Try connecting it both ways and see what works :)

Lenp

Sep 8, 2009
Phasing for a single speaker makes little difference but multiples must be phased for best results as long as they are all the same.
For stereo, put the system in Mono, with a male voice, like a news program. Properly phased speakers will make the sound appear to come from midway beteen the speakers. Improper phasing, the sound appears to come from the speaker. Just reverse on set of speaker wires to try it!

To check polarity, you need to see the cone. It will move out when the battery polarity is correct. If you can't see the cone maybe a thin wooden rod, like a toothpick, could be passed through the grill cloth to touch the cone and determine which way it moves.

Last edited:

CMarangon

Feb 3, 2013
Phasing for a single speaker makes little difference but multiples must be phased for best results as long as they are all the same.
For stereo, put the system in Mono, with a male voice, like a news program. Properly phased speakers will make the sound appear to come from midway beteen the speakers. Improper phasing, the sound appears to come from the speaker. Just reverse on set of speaker wires to try it!

To check polarity, you need to see the cone. It will move out when the battery polarity is correct. If you can't see the cone maybe a thin wooden rod, like a toothpick, could be passed through the grill cloth to touch the cone and determine which way it moves.

Thanks!
My problem is that the box with the speaker is closed and I can't see if the the cone push up or back. I already have solved it opening the box and using a 1.5 v batt. But, I need an alternative method for future experiences when I can't see the speakers. It will avoid to need open the speaker system box.

For a single speaker, out of the box, I noticed that the polarity can be identified putting it in front of may face, in a way that the inscriptions can be read and with terminals low. So, the left is negative and the right is positive. Usually it works, specialy if manufacturing follow this standard, but it is best to test with an 1.5 batt to have 100% of certainly.

For a two chanels stereo the method you suggested above also works and this page helps a lot.

My sistem is a 5.1 speaker system, so it does not work properly.

kind regards,

Carlos

Last edited: