Connect with us

How Can I Extend The Range Of This Receiver?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by itsdonny, Feb 12, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    I'd like to use this receiver but I think the range may be too short:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-LevNet-RF-Enabled-by-EnOcean-120-Volt-AC-5-Wire-1500-Relay-Receiver-with-Threaded-Mount-White-010-WST12-010/203468494?keyword=WST12-010

Especially since the signal will need to transfer through a brick wall next to lots of power cables. Can I just attach a long wire to the antenna and terminate that wire closer to the transmitter?

The transmitter I'm going to use is this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...nsor-White-040-WSC15-IRW/203468578?quantity=1

Perhaps I can add an antenna to this to extend its range? What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Don

2. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    What do you want to use the occupancy sensor for? These are not really occupancy sensors, they are motion sensors. They are good when the people keep moving, but are a dismal failure in a place like a bathroom where people tend to sit still in the bath or on the toilet.

3. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    They're being used in a garage in a condo complex. So they'll go on when they detect movement and stay on for about 5 minutes after the last movement. Allowing people plenty of time to get to and from their cars.

4. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    The sensor specifies a open air range of 1500ft. That should give a reasonable range if you keep it as far away from the cables as possible.
    How far will it be away from the receiver?

5. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    1500 square feet is what the motion sensor can cover.

Wireless according to my chat with Leviton this morning is 50-80 feet.

6. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    Sorry about that - the website specs is misleading to say the least as it specifies 'Range' in 'ft' not 'sq ft'

At the risk of annoying you: How does the footprint look and from how high to achieve it?

Garages are notoriously low ceilinged here in UK, which would reduce the sensing area size and also expose the sensor to vandalism.

7. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    The garage is about 200 feet long and the ceiling is about 8ft.

Thanks,
    Don

8. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    So the sensing area will be 8ft radius(16ft dia) on the ground(90deg field of view). So you will need multiples or be able to position one strategically so it catches cars entering and pedestrians entering. I guess this will determine how far you need to transmit.
    Maybe a better way would be to do a wall mount.

I can't help with improving the sensitivity of the receiver.
    I hope someone else can help you with that.

My experience with motion sensors has not been good in the reliability department, but I have always used cheapies. These are expensive so hopefully better.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. itsdonny

itsdonny

Aug 23, 2012
    Thank you. Yes wall mount may be better. I'll have to talk to the company again and hopefully talk to someone knowledgeable this time.

10. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    When you talkto them, also check whether you will have enough ambient light to keep it charged, otherwise you will have to power it with batteries. Those solar panels on the sensor seem small and I am guessing it needs quite a bit of light to keep the unit charged. If it won't stay charged it is very expensive for a battery operated sensor.

I would also look at the 500watt flood lights with built in motion detectors, They are quite cheap and effective - it does mean you need to run power cables to it though. There are also the LED versions that are quite energy efficient.

11. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    The manufacturer of the device may have already designed the units for the maximum range for the given power output. Considering the very low power consumption being used, adding a 1/4 wave length whip or a 1/2 wave dipole antenna may not improve the system much. You also may have to do some impedance matching .

Can you take the transmitter apart and take a close picture of the PCB.

Dave will be along in a minute, he's the RF super geek :) He will sort you out.

Adam

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no its 1500 ft nothing square about it
    And I am pretty sure that the 1500 ft is the transmitter range NOT the detection range which is likely to be very small

Dave

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  13. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    These units are based on EnOcean units, which seems to be the high end units.

EnOcean Specs Here

From those specs(this is a similar unit NOT identical):
    . Rf range = 80 ft
    Motion sensing range = 30 meter(100 ft) with long range lens(6.5 deg angle),coverage approx 1600 sq feet
    There is also a wide angle lens(90 deg angle) with a range of 40 ft, coverage approx 2640 sq ft.

Note that detection area is rectangular, not square.

These units seem very over-priced for what they are.

Ask a Question