Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How are GUIs programmed?

Terry Gould

Jul 31, 2014
Basically I was wondering how GUIs for electronics with colour displays are programmed.

This may seem obvious to some but I am self taught with electronics and programming micro controllers etc.

For example a simple electronic racing game with a joy stick and buttons to control the things on screen or a touch screen central heating controller
with a colour screen with a analog looking clock, screen saver etc.

How would this be programmed? Ie. What language would need to be known, what software would be used etc?

I know making such a device is way beyond a self taught hobbyist but I am just curious on how this is done

Thanks

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Basically I was wondering how GUIs for electronics with colour displays are programmed.

This may seem obvious to some but I am self taught with electronics and programming micro controllers etc.

For example a simple electronic racing game with a joy stick and buttons to control the things on screen or a touch screen central heating controller
with a colour screen with a analog looking clock, screen saver etc.

How would this be programmed? Ie. What language would need to be known, what software would be used etc?

I know making such a device is way beyond a self taught hobbyist but I am just curious on how this is done

Thanks
There are always numerous ways of doing things like this. If you like, have a read through this:
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/
It covers programming for a GameBoy Advance system, and has lots of details regarding programming images, lines, sprites, etc.
While this may not be a word-for-word solution to do the same thing with a PIC, it does give you some decent ideas of what you can expect.
The language of choice here is C