Maker Pro
How a BJT Transistor works (base current version)

How a BJT Transistor works (base current version)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yes I personally think he is clutching at straws because he knows we are right. He doesn't answer our questions properly and scoots around them. A classic sign of denial. No offence Claude you see like a nice guy and all that but you have only come up with some simulations that don't prove anything I have shown that in mine which you barley commented on. You have not backed this up with any modified formula that show what you are claiming.

Thanks
Adam

Reactions: LvW

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
Yes I personally think he is clutching at straws because he knows we are right. He doesn't answer our questions properly and scoots around them. A classic sign of denial. No offence Claude you see like a nice guy and all that but you have only come up with some simulations that don't prove anything I have shown that in mine which you barley commented on. You have not backed this up with any modified formula that show what you are claiming.

Thanks
Adam
What has your plot proven? It certainly does not back up your claim that Vbe is in control. I wanted to add more sims, but I've been staying late at work. Tonight and over the weekend, I have a good synchronous FET rectifier where I can show how I precedes V wneh the p-n body diode conducts. So far, I have demaonstrated that Ic responds immediately to a change in Ie, and that Vbe eventually catches up with Ie. But Ic settles before Vbe does, proving that it is Ie, not Vbe in control of Ic.

Then we regressed to a simple p-n junction scrutiny. The allegation is that Vd, the diode forward voltage drop, is what controls Id, the diode forward current. You assert this but cannot prove it. The reason I mention chickens and eggs is because some questions are futile. In general does current control voltage, or the other way around? One can cite examples either way, but science proves that I & V under dynamic conditions mutually coexist, neither in general is the controller or cause of the other.

Also, you deny that my plots/sims prove anything, then assume you must be right. If I don't convince you, fine, but you do not win by default. I've proven more than you have. I've designed many many networks using FETs and bjts in both amplifier and switching mode. I have 5 patents and 2 published papers, in the dissertation stage of my Ph.D. having passed all course work and qualifier exam. Your claims are sophomoric clap trap.

You simply assert V is in control of I for a bjt or diode, then ask me to prove otherwise, which I've done. You cannot prove which is in control with static equations, measurements. One must perturb a device, and observe the sequence of events as to how the parameters change, only then can we learn what is happening.
Ic changes in immediate response to Ie, as does Vbe. But why does Vbe continue rising after BOTH Ie and Ic have settled? Nobody has answered that. I will address eqch question as time permits. I have time tonight. BR.

Claude

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello Claude
My diode plot proves that the current through the diode does not reach a steady state until Vd does. I will agree with you and I think I have that for fast rising edges that produce the visual spike in Id. At that moment and a short time after if you were to measure the current and put it into the formula you wouldn't be able to match that to the Vd. But with the addition of capacitance the diode now becomes a circuit. You can not measure the diffusion current on it's own so you can't prove either way.

If your claims are true you should be able to prove it with a single p-n diode and a resistor. Can you do this an show me.

Thanks
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You could also argue that current is a catalyst in all this and can't control anything. It can represent something and cause effects but can it control something how can something so random control anything. What I do know is electric potential energy (applied voltage) can control current in a device. And the potential difference across a device is an indication of the energy being used by the whole device.
Adam

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
"The reason I mention chickens and eggs is because some questions are futile. In general does current control voltage, or the other way around? One can cite examples either way, but science proves that I & V under dynamic conditions mutually coexist, neither in general is the controller or cause of the other."

Simply wrong. There is no current without a driving voltage. Without voltage (electric field) there is no force that causes the charges to move. And that`s what we call current.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
What has your plot proven? It certainly does not back up your claim that Vbe is in control. I wanted to add more sims, but I've been staying late at work. Tonight and over the weekend, I have a good synchronous FET rectifier where I can show how I precedes V wneh the p-n body diode conducts. So far, I have demaonstrated that Ic responds immediately to a change in Ie, and that Vbe eventually catches up with Ie. But Ic settles before Vbe does, proving that it is Ie, not Vbe in control of Ic.

Plots do not prove your assertion of what is in control. There can be phase differences between the inputs and outputs that confuse sequential analysis. Plots only tell you what happened, not what caused it to happen. Equations do not tell you how things work, either. Equations only tell you what value a variable will be IF other variables have a particular value and the assumed conditions are in effect. Again, they do not tell you how things work. Models do not tell you how things work. They tell you what happens, but not how it happens. So we are left with learning and applying the physics of the device. That gives us the definitive answer of why things do what they do.

Then we regressed to a simple p-n junction scrutiny. The allegation is that Vd, the diode forward voltage drop, is what controls Id, the diode forward current. You assert this but cannot prove it. The reason I mention chickens and eggs is because some questions are futile. In general does current control voltage, or the other way around? One can cite examples either way, but science proves that I & V under dynamic conditions mutually coexist, neither in general is the controller or cause of the other.

That is absolutely wrong. The physics of the diffusion diode do indeed prove that voltage is controlling the current in an exponential relationship. The physics says that the applied voltage overcomes the back-voltage caused by the uncovered charges due to diffusion, and allows current to exist up to a new equilibrium. You cannot explain the physics of charge flow caused by diffusion in a diode by any current source explanation. Because the voltage explanation agrees with the physics of the device, that proves that voltage across the diode is what controls the diode current.

Also, you deny that my plots/sims prove anything, then assume you must be right. If I don't convince you, fine, but you do not win by default. I've proven more than you have. I've designed many many networks using FETs and bjts in both amplifier and switching mode. I have 5 patents and 2 published papers, in the dissertation stage of my Ph.D. having passed all course work and qualifier exam. Your claims are sophomoric clap trap.

That's right, I do deny that your plots, simulations, and conclusions are false for the reason that they deny the physics of the device. No matter how many courses you take or how many degrees you have, you still cannot ignore the basic physics pertaining to the device.

You simply assert V is in control of I for a bjt or diode, then ask me to prove otherwise, which I've done. You cannot prove which is in control with static equations, measurements. One must perturb a device, and observe the sequence of events as to how the parameters change, only then can we learn what is happening.
Ic changes in immediate response to Ie, as does Vbe. But why does Vbe continue rising after BOTH Ie and Ic have settled? Nobody has answered that. I will address eqch question as time permits. I have time tonight. BR

Claude

No, I did not simply assert that voltage is in control of a diffusion diode and a transistor. I explained why that is so many times. I agree, that measurements and equations will not determine what controls what. I said that many times, too. There is residual energy in a device or component that might delay the output response, so that cannot be shown as proof of what causes anything. In order to state what happens definitively, you must have a explanation that agrees with its physics.

Ratch

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
"The reason I mention chickens and eggs is because some questions are futile. In general does current control voltage, or the other way around? One can cite examples either way, but science proves that I & V under dynamic conditions mutually coexist, neither in general is the controller or cause of the other."

Simply wrong. There is no current without a driving voltage. Without voltage (electric field) there is no force that causes the charges to move. And that`s what we call current.

Yeahhhh well done LvW. That is dead right.

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Looking forward to how current controls current!
Adam
Yes - me too. By the way, one can show that - based on the law of energy conservation - it is impossible that a small current can DIRECTLY control a larger current.
In general, I do not rely too much on simple analogies - however, just for illustration purposes: It is easy to justify this law using the analogy between electrical current and a water fall.
A small river (base current) that merges into the main river (collector current) will increase the total water volume (emitter current) - however, it never will be able to provide something like a control function connected with gain.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yeah I go with that. And then there is the uncertainty principle which allow the conservation of energy to turn a blind eye for a split second.
Adam

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Yes - me too. By the way, one can show that - based on the law of energy conservation - it is impossible that a small current can DIRECTLY control a larger current.
In general, I do not rely too much on simple analogies - however, just for illustration purposes: It is easy to justify this law using the analogy between electrical current and a water fall.
A small river (base current) that merges into the main river (collector current) will increase the total water volume (emitter current) - however, it never will be able to provide something like a control function connected with gain.

Not in a BJT anyway. But it can do so in a magnetic amplifier (MA). An MA is constructed somewhat like a transformer, only it has an easily saturable core. A small amount of current in the input coil can saturate the core to whatever level is desired. If the core is completely saturated, the inductance in the output coil is very low, and a lot of charge flow can occur with very little driving voltage. If no current exists in the input coil, then the core is not saturated and much inductance is present in the output coil, which inhibits charge flow. Therefore, a MA is a true current amplifier device whose small input current directly controls a lot of output current. The Nazis used them extensively during the first part of Wild War II. They are practically indestructible compared to tubes or transistorss (T&T), and although bulky and heavy compared to (T&T), are still in limited use even today.

Ratch

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
Still beating that base current straw man. I stated ad infinitum that *emitter* current controls collector current, not base current control. We've already settled that. Every time your painted into a corner you play the base current straw man. LvW I have trouble believing you ever taught any class. You cannot conceptualize the difference between base and emitter current. I covered this on 2 other forums. I've stated repeatedly that the 1954 Ebers-Moll paper stated Ie as the controlling current for the Ic current source, they include a picture I will attach later.
You insist that current cannot exist w/o a driving voltage. Two problems with that statement, no proof, it is a mere assertion, and second you do not know the difference between emf and voltage drop.
Just as current does not happen w/o voltage, neither does voltage happen w/o current.

A simple battery powering a resistive heater is an example. Outside the battery, in the wires and heater element, electrons flow "down hill. The E field is moving the electrons. Nobody argues with this. But inside the battery, electrons flow towards negative terminal and away from positive terminal. The electrons move AGAINST the E field. If an E field is what moves electrons, then the imparted energy to said electrons is conserved so that the E field energy decreases. How does the E field get replenished?

The redox reaction inside the battery moves the electrons against the E field, which increases said E field. Just as charges do not move unless forced by an E field, E fields do not sustain w/o charges moved against them. The current inside the cells replenish E field energy lost to electron motion outside battery.

Adam, and LvW, I take no offense to your derogatory comments, I'll just let it slide, but you invoke energy conservation, but it is that principle which affirms my position. How do the electrons inside the battery move? Don't tell me acted on by E field because polarity is opposite. You need charge motion to create and sustain E fields, then those E fields can impart motion to electrons outside battery. But E fields lose energy by forcing electrons to move. So redox energy translation propels electrons against E field restoring energy.

E fields induce current. Current induces E fields. Energy is conserved. The bjt control question goes way beyond bjt structure. The current mode deniers insist that voltage drives current. If that were true, every electric device in existence is voltage controlled, and no debate is needed. Why would semiconductor OEMs call some devices current controlled, others voltage controlled? If V controls I at the basic physics level, what is the point?

LvW you asked me if a motor is current controlled. What is your position. I didn't answer so as not to drift off topic. But you seem to indicate, I'll let you speak for yourself, that a motor is CC. But one could argue using your logic, that current in the motor windings would not happen if not for voltage to drive it. If a motor is plugged into a CVS 120 volt wall outlet, and the counter emf is 115 volts, with a total winding impedance of 1.0 ohm, then the current is 5 amps. Does the 5 amps control the motor torque, speed, etc? But w/o the 120 volt supply, we have no 5 amps. This is truly a futile position you've presented. I will elaborate if asked. BR.

Claude :)

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Still beating that base current straw man. I stated ad infinitum that *emitter* current controls collector current, not base current control. We've already settled that. Every time your painted into a corner you play the base current straw man. LvW I have trouble believing you ever taught any class. You cannot conceptualize the difference between base and emitter current. I covered this on 2 other forums. I've stated repeatedly that the 1954 Ebers-Moll paper stated Ie as the controlling current for the Ic current source, they include a picture I will attach later.
You insist that current cannot exist w/o a driving voltage. Two problems with that statement, no proof, it is a mere assertion, and second you do not know the difference between emf and voltage drop.
Just as current does not happen w/o voltage, neither does voltage happen w/o current.

Well, we have had this emitter current discussion before in another thread in another forum. I can't speak for Lvw and I have never taught a class. But, I will paint myself into a corner by saying that Vbe controls both Ie and Ic. Ie and Ic are in series with each other, so if one changes, the other automatically changes. The physics of the transistor show that both are controlled by Vbe. I think we all know what Ib,Ie, and Ic are. If you are referring to Ic in a transistor model, then that is irrelevant because models do not show how transistors work. They only show what they do under certain circumstances. You still have not refuted my physics explanation of how a BJT works. By the way, voltage can exist without current existing in an energized capacitor.

A simple battery powering a resistive heater is an example. Outside the battery, in the wires and heater element, electrons flow "down hill. The E field is moving the electrons. Nobody argues with this. But inside the battery, electrons flow towards negative terminal and away from positive terminal. The electrons move AGAINST the E field. If an E field is what moves electrons, then the imparted energy to said electrons is conserved so that the E field energy decreases. How does the E field get replenished?

The redox reaction inside the battery moves the electrons against the E field, which increases said E field. Just as charges do not move unless forced by an E field, E fields do not sustain w/o charges moved against them. The current inside the cells replenish E field energy lost to electron motion outside battery.

How does the electrochemistry of a battery, which involves migrating ions and chemical reactions have any relevancy to a BJT?. We can hook up the BJT to a power supply and it would not make any difference. We all know that a battery converts chemical energy into electrical energy if a conduction path exists between it terminals. You are wandering off into left field.

Adam, and LvW, I take no offense to your derogatory comments, I'll just let it slide, but you invoke energy conservation, but it is that principle which affirms my position. How do the electrons inside the battery move? Don't tell me acted on by E field because polarity is opposite. You need charge motion to create and sustain E fields, then those E fields can impart motion to electrons outside battery. But E fields lose energy by forcing electrons to move. So redox energy translation propels electrons against E field restoring energy.

E fields induce current. Current induces E fields. Energy is conserved. The bjt control question goes way beyond bjt structure. The current mode deniers insist that voltage drives current. If that were true, every electric device in existence is voltage controlled, and no debate is needed. Why would semiconductor OEMs call some devices current controlled, others voltage controlled? If V controls I at the basic physics level, what is the point?

The energy conservation is that the chemical energy of the battery gets converted into electrical energy and is dissipated as heat or used for work. The OEMs that call a BJT a current controlled device are wrong, or are talking about the circuit where they are employed. The Ib is an indicator of Ic, not a control. I described a magnetic amplifier in the post before this one. It is truly a current controlled amplifying device.

LvW you asked me if a motor is current controlled. What is your position. I didn't answer so as not to drift off topic. But you seem to indicate, I'll let you speak for yourself, that a motor is CC. But one could argue using your logic, that current in the motor windings would not happen if not for voltage to drive it. If a motor is plugged into a CVS 120 volt wall outlet, and the counter emf is 115 volts, with a total winding impedance of 1.0 ohm, then the current is 5 amps. Does the 5 amps control the motor torque, speed, etc? But w/o the 120 volt supply, we have no 5 amps. This is truly a futile position you've presented. I will elaborate if asked. BR.

I will let Lvw answer that one.

Ratch

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Well, we have had this emitter current discussion before in another thread in another forum. I can't speak for Lvw and I have never taught a class. But, I will paint myself into a corner by saying that Vbe controls both Ie and Ic. Ie and Ic are in series with each other, so if one changes, the other automatically changes. The physics of the transistor show that both are controlled by Vbe.
More than that - all measurements, experiments, observations proof this (Early effect, -2mV/K, Re-feedback, diff. amplifiers with tanh-transfer, class-B form of cross-over distortions, current mirror, translinear loops,...). In particular, the design of BJT stages is based on voltage control. Everybody knows that he must provide a suitable B-E voltage to allow the desired current Ic.
I wonder how current injection into the emitter (without suitable B-E voltage) could allow transistor operation (as preferred by Claude - however, without any example circuit).

I will let Lvw answer that one.
The question was about a dc motor (voltage controlled?). It was my attempt to understand Claude`s way of thinking. Perhaps he didn`t recognize - but I gave an answer in my post#77.
However, his answer was (a) "I didn't answer so as not to drift off topic" and (b) that I have "a futile position" - whatever that means.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013

Hi Claude, There is no intention to offend you, that’s not what I am here for. Sorry if you felt that. We all have our own opinions and we are all very keen to keep hold of that.

I don’t know you and you don’t know me. You come along telling us that what we all know is basically wrong you can see how that might irritate us just as you are with someone telling you that you are wrong.

I have no doubt you might be more intelligent than me but I take a lot of convincing to change my mind and just someone telling me it’s different isn’t going to wash I am afraid.

I am sorry but there are too many incorrect statements and incorrect terminology in this post, like this one

"But inside the battery, electrons flow towards negative terminal and away from positive terminal".

So I won't be carrying on.

All the best.

Adam

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
Hi Claude, There is no intention to offend you, that’s not what I am here for. Sorry if you felt that. We all have our own opinions and we are all very keen to keep hold of that.

I don’t know you and you don’t know me. You come along telling us that what we all know is basically wrong you can see how that might irritate us just as you are with someone telling you that you are wrong.

I have no doubt you might be more intelligent than me but I take a lot of convincing to change my mind and just someone telling me it’s different isn’t going to wash I am afraid.

I am sorry but there are too many incorrect statements and incorrect terminology in this post, like this one

"But inside the battery, electrons flow towards negative terminal and away from positive terminal".

So I won't be carrying on.

All the best.

Adam
Please refer to bold quote. Just how is that statement wrong? If wrong, then please tell us which terminal the electrons approach. Explain please. Thank you in advance.

Claude

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
Quote Claude: "Yes, gate current precedes gate-source voltage."

Claude, it took a long time until - I hope so - I was able to understand your way of thinking (and your definition of "control")..
To make it clear to me: I think, you would NOT agree that a dc motor is controlled by a dc voltage, correct?
Instead, you would say "current-controlled or field-controlled, or..."

That means: I am beginning to understand what you mean while saying "current precedes voltage" - however, for my opinion a rather "unconventional" way of decribing the working principles of transistors (BJT as well FET).

I am neither a scientist nor a physicist - I feel and think as an engineer.
That means: To me is the BJT a three-terminal device with a defined output signal (current Ic) and the possibility to "steer" (to "control") this output signal using the third terminal (base). For this purpose, I apply an electrical quantity to this node (base voltage against emitter potential).
In short: I am interested only in the external signal which is able to cause a change of the BJT`s output quantity.
And that`s what we are doing when we measure and record all the BJT parameters and characteristic curves (we cannot measure the diffusion voltage, for example).

More than that, for my opinion, this view is also in accordance with the general definition of the term "control"
:
The controlling quantity is externally applied to the controlling input node (without the necessity to know in detail what happens inside the black box).
Coming back to my above example: That`s the reason we speak about a voltage-controlled dc motor. (I am not a specialist in motors, but I think its true).

Final question: Could you agree to the following?
The value of the collector current of a BJT is determined by an externally applied voltage between base and emitter terminals.
That`s what we can observe. And that´s the primary property we need to know for designing an understanding all application circuits..
A motor's speed is controlled by its terminal voltage to a fairly good degree of accuracy. A motor's torque is controlled by its current, to a fair degree.
Claude

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
Hello Claude
My diode plot proves that the current through the diode does not reach a steady state until Vd does. I will agree with you and I think I have that for fast rising edges that produce the visual spike in Id. At that moment and a short time after if you were to measure the current and put it into the formula you wouldn't be able to match that to the Vd. But with the addition of capacitance the diode now becomes a circuit. You can not measure the diffusion current on it's own so you can't prove either way.

If your claims are true you should be able to prove it with a single p-n diode and a resistor. Can you do this an show me.

Thanks
Adam
I already have, please refer to power converter schematic, uses diode, and inductor. The diode current and voltage are plotted. Also, in my amp stage plots, I have b-e junction with resistor in emitter leg. Plots show that Ie/Ic settle to their final value, then Vbe settles a little later. What makes you think that "I know you're right". Nobody who has argued with me has given a shred of proof, except you have made an attempt.

Claude

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Please refer to bold quote. Just how is that statement wrong? If wrong, then please tell us which terminal the electrons approach. Explain please. Thank you in advance.

Claude

I studied up a little about batteries from some chemistry textbooks. It appears that only the cations and anions travel through the electrolyte, but no electrons. Electron transfer is caused by reduction at the cathode and oxidation at the anode, but the electrons only travel along the conduction path of the external circuit. The textbook explanation is confirmed by this link. http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/power/2-how-do-batteries-work.html It would appear that if the electrons could or did move through the electrolyte, the battery would short out internally.

Ratch

cabraham

Feb 12, 2015
More than that - all measurements, experiments, observations proof this (Early effect, -2mV/K, Re-feedback, diff. amplifiers with tanh-transfer, class-B form of cross-over distortions, current mirror, translinear loops,...). In particular, the design of BJT stages is based on voltage control. Everybody knows that he must provide a suitable B-E voltage to allow the desired current Ic.
I wonder how current injection into the emitter (without suitable B-E voltage) could allow transistor operation (as preferred by Claude - however, without any example circuit).

The question was about a dc motor (voltage controlled?). It was my attempt to understand Claude`s way of thinking. Perhaps he didn`t recognize - but I gave an answer in my post#77.
However, his answer was (a) "I didn't answer so as not to drift off topic" and (b) that I have "a futile position" - whatever that means.
I've answered all of those. But to have it in a neat single post, concise form, here it is.

Early effect is not a "Vbe" issue, but rather "Vbc", or "Vce". Early effect has a minor influence on Ic wrt "Vbc". But Early effect has been acknowledged since it was published in 1952. The fact that Vce has a slight influence on Ic has never been debated. That is not the main control quantity, Ie is. Also, the slope of the Ic vs. Vce curves is often measured with Ib as the parameter held constant. Vbc/Vce when increased results in the depletion layer of the reverse biased b-c junction larger. It encroaches on the base region, reducing its volume. As a result beta increases due to less injection hole current from base to emitter. But these curves are generated with Ib constant, so emitter current increases due to increased beta. I want to emphasize that amp stages are usually designed to fix the emitter current, not base current.

When Early effect takes place, beta can increase by 10 or even 20%. But if a bias network fixes Ie q-point, then the collector current Ic is given by Ic = alpha*Ie. Remembering that alpha = beta/(beta+1), if beta is 100, alpha is 100/101, or 0.9901. Then due to Early effect, beta increases to 120, so that the new alpha value is 120/121 or 0.9917. So Early effect increased alpha from 0.9901 to 0.9917, an increase of only 0.165%. If a bias network is well designed, fixing Ie at a stable q-point, Early effect, die to Vce/Vbc, has very minimal influence on Ic.

Still, it is correct to say that the collector-base **voltage** does exert a slight amount of "control" over Ic. Slight, but nonetheless, it is safe to say that Ic is to a small extent, influenced by Vbc/Vce.

The 2 mV/K issue, how does that prove anything re control. A bjt is biased with a network fixing Ie, not Vbe. For a given Ie, we know that the Vbe value changes by 2 mV/K temp change. If a bjt was controlled by fixing Vbe (voltage controlled), the temp coefficient would be in **mA/K**.

Re feedback is one I already discussed. A q point is established, but the bjt is suddenly heated up. What happens? Silicon when heated becomes more conductive due to increased carrier concentration due to increased thermal energy in the form of lattice vibrations. As soon as current increases, the Re incurs more collisions resulting in ionization and an E field opposed to signal source. This reduces Ie as well as Ib, and eventually Vbe is lowered. But the net result is an increase in Ie and Ic, with a decrease in Vbe. Less Vbe is the result of the increased ionization of the resistor. THis reduced Vbe does not bring Ic down as you claim. Measure it in the lab, Ic increases at elevated temp, but Vbe goes down. Also we can look at it as the dc source voltage at the base Vbb is fixed. Ve is Vbb - Vbe. Ie is (Vbb-Vbe)/Re = Ve/Re. The drop of Vbe will result in a slightly larger Ve, and larger Ie. Ultimately Ic goes UP due to Ie going up. Vbe going down does not bring Ic down. What happens is that a nw equilibrium is reached. Ic can increase even though Vbe decreases because Ies went up a lot, while Vt went up as well.

But please remember that this Re feedback works only because the base terminal is forced to a constant voltage Vbb. If the base were driven by a current source, a bjt collector, or another CCS, the Re does not provide this feedback. Taks a diff pair 1st stage in an op amp, with a common emitter 2nd stage. The diff pair collector of one bjt inputs to the 2nd stage base of the common emitter. Do a sim, or set up a lab test, you will find that Re does not provide said feedback. When beta varies, or temp, the change in Ic is NOT cancelled. This type of topology is beta dependent, which is why op amps open loop gain varies, due to 2nd stage beta variation. Re does not mitigate that.

Dif amp tanh relation proves what? That an amp built from 1 or more bjt's has voltage gain as well as current gain. I have the text by Schaub and Tilling I will post tonight showing the current gain transfer function of a diff pair. If the stage is used to serve as an amp front end, popular with op amps and discrete audio power amps, then the input is generally a voltage source. But I've seen old designs where the 2nd stage uses a diff pair, where the emitters connect to signal ground w/o large emitter resistors or constant current sinks/sources, and the transfer function is expressed in beta1/2 terms. A diff amp, like a single amp, has a voltage gain as well as current gain.

Class B amp distortion proves what? It proves that if Vbe were its ideal zero value, said distortion would not exist. A b-e junction is a forward biased diode, which in the ideal has a forward current with ZERO forward voltage drop. If Vbe were zero, then crossover distortion is gone. Many who dispute current control model insist that Ib is a defect, yet it is not apparent to them that Vbe is just as much a defect as any other undesirable quantity.

Current mirrors do not work well if design relies on 2 devices matching in Vbe. Even identical geometries on the same substrate do not always balance since a slight inequality in current will heat up the device with larger current more than the other, and that device eventually hogs the current. Fortunately, some intrinsic emitter resistance, r_e, is present and corrects this. What emitter resistance does is force the 2 devices to have equal Ie values. If Vbe's mismatch, but an external Re is present, it will force Ie's to closely match, even if the Vbe's do not. I've designed many many mirrors, and I can achieve great tracking/matching when the 2 or more devices are different part numbers, on different boards, different temp. I use enough emitter degeneration resistance and force all parts to have nearly identical Ie values, even though Vbe values do not match well. As long as the devices have near equal Ie, all the Ic values are alpha times their respective Ie. If all devices vary in temp and differing parts, even if beta varies from 80 to 400, alpha will vary from80/81 to 400/401 resp., which computes to 0.9877 to 0.9975 resp. Despite beta ranging 80 to 400, collector currents vary by 1%.

Finally, translinear loops merely demonstrate that the transconductance of a bjt, "gm", is directly related in a linear fashion to the dc collector current, i.e. gm = Ic/Vt. The fact that a bjt possesses transconductance does not make it voltage controlled. A bjt has both transconductance and current gain, gm and beta. Likewise a FET (J- or MOS-), has both transconductance and current gain. But possessing a current gain does not make the FET current controlled. The bandwidth limit for a FET is described either with "ft" the transition frequency, or input capacitance. The transition freq, ft, is that freq where the current gain has dropped to unity. I.e. at ft, id/ig = 1. Above this ft value, the FET has a current gain less than unity, so that it is less useful as an amplifier. Or, it is common to use input capacitance to compute gate current. At some freq, the gate current will reach the value of the drain current, and current gain is unity, the device has reached its bandwidth limit.

I will elaborate if desired. Please study this carefully before asking questions, thanks.

Claude