Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hot air gun Nozzle SET for SMT chips? and Fine pitch chips

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Who makes a hot air gun nozzles in a set for SMT chips and fine pitch chips

The only hot air gun nozzle sets i see are just random nozzles for the hot air gun but would do nothing to desolder SMT chips and fine pitch chips that have different sizes and pin numbers

And i'm also not sure if these nozzles are universal , cause it seems you have to use their brand of air guns to fit these nozzles

I'm looking for a Hot Air Gun, plus has a set of different nozzles to desolder SMT chips and fine pitch chips, who makes these please?

I have tried the small straight nozzles at work, and you just go around in circles around the SMT or fine pitch chips. But what happens is you either break a chips pin or other components around it melt

Plus i need the nozzles for SMT, because at work they are all double or triple plated sided. So i have to heat up 2 rows of pads X pins on one side of the pcd to get the SMT chip desoldered.

I can't lay the soldering iron on 1 row of pins and try to lift them up. It ruins the pads and PCB.

So i need theses nozzles for SMT and fine pitch, but i don't know which brands do i get to work with the right hot air gun?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Have you looked at any hot air rework stations? Even the generic Asian ones have a catalog of interchangeable tips for just about any SMD package, and the name brand ones certainly have a selection of tips...

And yes, most of the nozzles are not universal but designed for a specific heat gun or rework station...

I have one of those cheap hot air combo solder iron rework stations and it simply WORKS! I have used top of the line rework and solder station when I worked for big companies and today for at home I swear by the cheap Asian stuff, $ for $ I simply couldn't be happier... I'm saying it's as good, it certainly isn't in most cases, but you can honestly get a LOT of bang for the buck and deal with the little quirks... My only issue with my cheap hot air rework station is that it's basically a fish air pump in hollow tin can box, it vibrates and makes a lot of annoying noise, but I get over that most of the time...

I got the thing on sale for about $100 complete with a half dozen tips for $100 that's a temp controlled and adjustable solder station, temp and airflow controlled hot air rework station and some tips for $100...

That or you can shield close parts with Kaptan tape and/or aluminum foil, heck even cardboard cutouts for quick and dirty work...

I can't lay the soldering iron on 1 row of pins and try to lift them up. It ruins the pads and PCB.

Less heat, less time, more solder, more flux and only the cheapest of cheap boards should lift pads... Another option is to dilute/replace the existing solder holding the chip with a lower temp solder, that give you more work time to lift...

Last edited:

danny davis

May 9, 2012
but do they make a set that is universal Nozzles for hot air guns for SMT and fine pitch nozzles?

It seem that the name brand hot air guns, you have to buy the SMT Nozzle one by one not in a set, each nozzle ranges from $8 to $15 dollars

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
but do they make a set that is universal Nozzles for hot air guns for SMT and fine pitch nozzles?

It seem that the name brand hot air guns, you have to buy the SMT Nozzle one by one not in a set, each nozzle ranges from $8 to $15 dollars

How can you have a universal tip when the chips themselves are not a universal size or even close to universal?

Yeah the tips are not cheap, but they are hardly that costly vs the time they save...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
well i mean universal so any nozzle can work with any hot air gun

Because each company that i work for has different brand hot air guns but they never buy the nozzles for different sizes for SMT chips or Fine pitch chips

So I wanted to buy a set of SMT nozzles and FIne pitch nozzles for hot air guns

I just wanted to buy a set to take with my to work but how can I if you have to buy and spend $100 dollars per hot air gun brand names right?

Using a hot air pencil gun is better to not melt components because of its size

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Just buy your own hot air rework station and the tips for that unit, and use that if you are bouncing around multiple facilities...

You simply are not going to find a fit all tip, short of building your own adapters for each brand...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Do you know which brands that are cheap and sell a set for SMT chips and Fine pitch chips that is cheap

I know you said yours is cheap but noisy, I would like to get something cheap but not noisy so my co-workers get mad

danny davis

May 9, 2012
I use a Desoldering GUN, the problem I'm having with the GUN is that its hard to it without melting other components that are surround the pad i want.

That is the limitation of the Desoldering gun is that its very limited to desoldering because you can't get it in without melting the surrounding components because they are so close together

Can I switch the Desoldering Guns Nozzle? with a longer straight one?

I have a manual pickup tool, but it's not hooked up to a air pump
Is there any way I can convert it and put an air tube into my manual pickup tool
This is the one i have:
http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Suckin...1340597995&sr=8-6&keywords=vacuum+pickup+tool

This guy on youtube converts a manual pickup tool to a air pump version
Click here:

PICKUP TOOLS
http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=VA175

http://www.amazon.com/Techni-Tool-V...1340580151&sr=8-7&keywords=vacuum+pickup+tool

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I use a Desoldering GUN, the problem I'm having with the GUN is that its hard to it without melting other components that are surround the pad i want.

That is the limitation of the Desoldering gun is that its very limited to desoldering because you can't get it in without melting the surrounding components because they are so close together

You can't simply blame the tool all the time... Just like your lack of soldering skills causes you to lift pads, your lack of heat gun skills is melting other components...

Can I switch the Desoldering Guns Nozzle? with a longer straight one?

Sure...

I have a manual pickup tool, but it's not hooked up to a air pump
Is there any way I can convert it and put an air tube into my manual pickup tool

Sure... As you clearly answered yourself with the videos...

But, vacuum pickup tools are cheap enough, all they are is a tube with a hole in it that you cover and uncover with a finger, by the time you purchase a vacuum pump and convert your existing tube could have purchased one already assembled from China...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
They cost $100 dollars and up to $700

The Edsyn is $700 dollars

So you just by a vacuum pump? and hook a tube to it?

How can you get a LONG straight Nozzle for the heat gun? what are they called?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The problem is that the NOZZLE is not long enough

So insulate the surrounding components, cardboard, aluminum foil and Kapton tape works well...

Does Aoyue make a Very long NOZZLE for the desoldering gun so you don't melt the other components

I have told you my Google secret many times... Try it...

Do they have desoldering gun nozzle attachments?

See the answer above...

danny davis

May 9, 2012
So insulate the surrounding components, cardboard, aluminum foil and Kapton tape works well.

No, You can't even fit the gun in between or the shaft/heating part of the gun will melt or you just can't get the GUN's SHAFT and body to fit in

danny davis

May 9, 2012
insulate the surrounding components, cardboard, aluminum foil and Kapton tape works well.

There is not enough room to put those things because i would have to tilt and slant the desoldering GUN and the air doesn't suck up the solder , you have to point it straight up to make it work right

The components are to close together next to BIG components like dip switches or Trim Pots , etc so the Desoldering gun will melt them because of the shaft

Thats why i need a longer TIP for the gun

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
No, You can't even fit the gun in between or the shaft/heating part of the gun will melt or you just can't get the GUN's SHAFT and body to fit in
There is not enough room to put those things because i would have to tilt and slant the desoldering GUN and the air doesn't suck up the solder , you have to point it straight up to make it work right

The components are to close together next to BIG components like dip switches or Trim Pots , etc so the Desoldering gun will melt them because of the shaft

Sounds like it's not the tool to be using for the job... Maybe suck from the bottom side, or use wick like has been recommended multiple times to you...

I went to Aoyue's website to find the Desoldering Guns TIPS
They don't have any right?

Click here:
http://www.aoyue.com/en/Product.asp?... IRON TIPS

Why would I be looking at soldering iron tips when we are discussing desoldering gun tips?

Did you GOOGLE something like 'Aoyue replacement desoldering tips' I suspect not...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you should try working from the other side of the board.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Presumably the RJ45 jack was soldered into place. How was it done?

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
You simply are not going to find a fit all tip, short of building your own adapters for each brand...

Whats that saying - necessity is the mother of invention.
Theres your chance to invent something and possibly make some money :p