Connect with us

Hooking record player to Speakers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gustavo, Jun 19, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gustavo

gustavo

Jun 19, 2012
    I have a harmon kardon t55c record player hooked up to a GE 23292 Stereo Turntable Pre-Amplified, which is hooked up to a Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver (the cd input jacks), which i have bare wired to two sony apm-33w speakers (didn't have banana connectors that fit). I am getting no sound at all from the speakers and I have checked everything over many time including the cartridge on the record player, the wiring, battery in preamp. I don't know why it isnt working. Could the receiver be at fault, the speakers, preamp? I really dont know. maybe its my wiring. Thank you.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Anything could be at fault, you need to step through the components and see what you can find... And I have to asked, is the preamp plugged in or powered from a battery? I looked as some reviews and apparently it doesn't come with a power cord, thus I have to ask...

My first advice would likely be to test the turn table and pre-amp using the microphone or line in on your computer and see if you get any sound... Make sure you enable the line in and or mic on the computer as many times they are turned off to avoid feedback noise ;)

3. gustavo

gustavo

Jun 19, 2012
    I have a battery in the preamp. i dont have the right rca cables for my labtop I think I need mini rca cables. I just want this to work.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You will likely need an RCA to 3.5mm phono jack to hook it to the computer... If you want it to work you will need to find the issue, this will require you finding out what is and isn't' working...

5. gustavo

gustavo

Jun 19, 2012
    they have rca to usb cables that should work right.

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    No don't go USB, no reason to complicate things by introducing potential new issues...

Get the RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack so it plugs into the computer and test from there, or try plugging it into another piece of hardware that will amplify it to speaker level like maybe you TV? You might even have straight up RCA jacks, most TVs will...

The idea is to test the components, if the player and preamp work you can eliminate them, if they don't you just narrowed your issue down to two devices...

7. gustavo

gustavo

Jun 19, 2012
    So I bought a rca to 3.55 mm that i have hooked up to the mic input on my laptop and it works. So it must be the receiver or the speakers. I bought the receiver and speakers really cheap on Craigslist and was kinda of in a rush on a work break so I didn't test them when i first bought them. So either my speakers dont work or there is something wrong with the receiver.

8. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I would venture to say the receiver is bad...

You can test the speakers with the computer, just plug in your 3.5mm jack into the speaker out and touch the speaker wires to the rca end... Or just take a 9v battery and briefly touch it to the speaker terminals, if the speaker 'pops' the speaker isn't complete toast, but that isn't to say it's in perfect working order either...

9. gustavo

gustavo

Jun 19, 2012
    I tested the speakers with a battery and they did pop, so they seem to be functional. So obviously it comes down to the receiver. Unless you have any other troubleshooting advice for me, which i thank you for all of your help i really appreciate it, looks like im going to need a new receiver.

10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Well the receiver it is then, might be something simple inside the receiver or it might be something beyond reasonable repair...

Does the receiver work at all? Does it have a built in radio or other inputs you can test?

Ask a Question