Connect with us

Honeywell HH210E humidifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pjmcneill, Jan 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pjmcneill

pjmcneill

Jan 7, 2013
    Hello, I have just registered, to see if anyone can give me some advice. I have a Honeywell HH210E humidifier, which has a blue LED inside, causing a glow to come from beneath, and through the water level indicator. I want to disable this, and want to know if I can snip the wires to it without causing the machine to malfunction, or to cause any other components to fail. Yes, you guessed right, I don't know about electronics, but am capable and conscientious enough to be able to take something apart and safely reassemble it in working order. The closest I have come to an electronics project was replacing the display in my Marantz CD player several years ago. This involved desoldering 18 or 19 contacts, and resoldering the same number. I am pleased to say that the operation was a success. So, don't worry that I'm some kind of inept, who's going to blow himself up! I would be grateful if someone were able to give me some pointers. (Sorry about the block, I have something stopping me using the enter key, so I can't get new lines or line spaces). PJ

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    measure the voltage that is on the LED then snip one side and measure the current going through it.

try running it with the LED out of the circuit, it should just not work at all or work just fine, if it doesn't work at all (highly unlikely unless they have a monitor system for the indicator LED), look for a diode that has a similar voltage and current (so you don't blow it out if its rated for less, though the LED should only be like 20mA) rating and throw that in there the right way and you should be golden

3. pjmcneill

pjmcneill

Jan 7, 2013
    LED query

Thanks for your speedy reply, GreenGiant. I think your first recommendation is beyond me, but I feel confident about your second suggestion re removing from the circuit, and inserting a diode if necessary. Sorry for not titling the thread properly. PJ

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    I would highly recommend figuring out what the voltage is first, if you put a diode in that blocks too much voltage that can cause problems. There is no indication here as to what voltage it is, probably something like 1.5 volts but theres no promise.

5. pjmcneill

pjmcneill

Jan 7, 2013
    Hi, GreenGiant. I'm happy to report that I snipped out the LED, and the humidifier is working fine! You gave me the confidence to do what I was hoping might work. Maybe I should do a course in electronics...? Many thanks, PJ

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I am sure you would find it rewarding :)

no probs on the thread title, sorted that for you
    just keep in mind for future posts to title your thread with something relevent to the subject :)

Dave

7. pjmcneill

pjmcneill

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheers, Dave - will do!

Ask a Question