Connect with us

homemade alarm

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Randy Wilfong, Oct 31, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Randy Wilfong

Randy Wilfong

Oct 31, 2011
    I am working on converting a stop watch into an alarm clock that vibrates to wake the hearing impaired. So far I've found the source of power to the speaker and I'm trying to use this to instead power a vibrating motor. The power used is far too low to start the motor and I'm told a relay is what I need but I can't find any that would work. Any suggetions?

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Alarm control

Hi welcome to the forum. The output of the watch might not be enough to power a relay even, in that case you would need to ramp up the voltage and current, try to find out the watches output for the alarm, then your know what type of circuit is needed to up the volts and amps if necessary.
    Dave.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    What exactly is the purpose of the stopwatch in this? Is it necessary?
    There are plenty of cheap, readily available alarm clocks,
    couldn't you just tie your hearing impared device into one of those?
    Just wondering.

4. Randy Wilfong

Randy Wilfong

Oct 31, 2011
    This may be wrong but the CIM teacher measured .05 V on a multimeter. the battery can power up to 3 volts but the stopwatch seems to use many resisters

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Randy Wilfong

Randy Wilfong

Oct 31, 2011
    This is a project for my Engineering design/ development class where I am trying to improve the previously made designs which were not very effective.

6. Randy Wilfong

Randy Wilfong

Oct 31, 2011
    An employee of York Time Institute told me that a relay is the wrong way to go and suggested a repeater. Which would be more efective for a watch attatched to the sleeping user?

Ask a Question