Connect with us

Home theatre system dead - repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by petarg, Apr 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. petarg

petarg

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi all,

First post on the forum, so hope I get it all right - I'm trying to repair a Sony DAVS-800 home theatre system which went dead a while ago (12 months or so).

How it happened - stopped all of a sudden, no power, no power lamp, nothing works. There was no smoke or sound, just didn't power on at some point. I checked the fuse (presumably AC, the usual see-through small glass cylinder one), it was OK (don't know if it has another (DC) fuse or not), so I left it for a while.

Looking at fixing it today, so I checked a few things:

- The unit still shows no sign of life when plugged in and powered on, except:
    - A small/short high pitch noise comes from it for the first few seconds after power button is pressed
    - AC current does get to the fuse, power switch is OK (AC voltmeter shows 223V)
    - Last thing I checked - one of the two DC power outputs shows a current (29V) so PSU is not entirely dead (this was my first thought, something in the PSU)
    - A large 400v capacitor on the power board has a very slight bulge in it, but did produce a big spark when I shorted it, isn't shorted when measured for resistance, and if Ohm-meter is held to it the resistance increases, making me think it's not the (obvious) cause

Apart from this, I've managed to find a service manual for it (can't attach it due to size but will email it if anyone wants to/has the time to have a look), and took a few pics which might help (these are attached, will take more if needed).

Would anyone know what I should look into next? (I have checked a few capacitors and diodes on the PS board and most seem OK, except for one diode and one capacitor which seemed to be shorted - but it was an on-circuit test so no idea if they are really faulty or not (both are OK visually).
    This sort of thing was a hobby of mine in early teenage years, so am quite happy to fiddle with it, can solder etc, but don't have many thoughts on what exactly to check next :(

All help much appreciated,
    Best regards,
    Petar

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A shorted diode in the power supply is certainly an option. It would be one of those connected to a heatsink near the output of the power supply.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    thats usually an indication that there is either a PSU fault or some other part of the system is loading the PSU down because of a fault in that other section

Dave

4. petarg

petarg

Apr 12, 2012
    Would it be safe to assume the fault is in the PSU somewhere - or should I be checking other parts as well?

5. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    what about the other one? What is the voltage supposed to be at the output o the PSU?

Ask a Question