Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Home Security system takeover

JMac83

Jul 9, 2016
I recently moved into a new home with a Montronics monitored Concord Series 4 hub with two 2gig go control panels and a bunch of window, door and motion sensors. We want to keep all the in home notifications and alarms but don't want to sign up for Monitronics or another alarm system. I am worried that if they might deactivate the system remotely as it is set up with a cellular module. Any ideas on how ensure I can use the system just for local monitoring? The system isn't locked and I have the installer code.

JMac83

Jul 9, 2016
It doesn't look like it is plugged into a cable line but there is a cellular backup plugged in. My thought was to reprogram the default service phone number in the module then unplug/unhook the cellular backup. I am not sure if that would set off the alarm in the house or send out a message to Monitronics though.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Do you actually own the system, or was it a "free" supply and install with monitoring for a set term?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Shield the cell phone with aluminium foil?

JMac83

Jul 9, 2016
Lol, I am 90% sure the previous homeowners owned the equipment and we're not leasing but it wasn't disclosed either way. Other than tin foil are there other options for determining if the system is still connected to Monitronics via cell without calling them directly?

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Why do you not want to call Monitronics?

My suggestion would be to call them and find out for sure what the situation is.

Can you contact the previous owners? Real estate agent may be able to help?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Sorry I haven't visited here lately and didn't see this before. IMac, I sincerely hope you didn't in any way disable any of the communication routes to a central station before you reprogrammed your control panel (that's the BRAIN of the system, not the keypads/touchpads ) not to try to call out. If your panel is programmed to call out, and can't reach a central station, it will sooner or later find itself not communicating with the C/S and will inform you of that fact via trouble noises from the keypads at all hours. An FC (Fail to Comm) Trouble can only be reset with a power cycle: Power down completely, wait a minute for good measure, then power back up. That includes the system power transformer and system battery.

Your first step is finding and downloading the Installation and programming manual(s) and look them over, find the relevant programming addresses for programming communication options, and reprogram the panel NOT to call out. It's been years since I've worked with the Concord 4, so I don't remember off the top of my head exactly how that's done. I'm also travelling and it's almost 5 in the morning and I'm groggy and need sleep, so I'll check back in a day or so and see how you're doing---that's if you haven't already abandoned this thread.

A better bet might be to post your situation here http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php?action=forum where there are techs a lot more familiar with that particular panel.