Chris

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Do you have a serial port?

Chris

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
I ordered a PICkit 3 to program cheap chips like PIC12LF1501 with features like ADC.

Will be great to have an in circuit PIC programmer.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I ordered a PICkit 3 to program cheap chips like PIC12LF1501 with features like ADC.

Will be great to have an in circuit PIC programmer.

In circuit programming is a natural Picaxe feature.

Chris

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Just curious, does the PICAXE support in circuit debugging on the as well?

Bob

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
In circuit programming is a natural Picaxe feature.

Chris

But why be stuck with a preprogrammed (thus limited) chip, when you can program the chip to do anything yourself?

As I type this, I guess the answer is that if one can program, then PICkit is better, but if one can't program (and don't want to devote a sizeable chunk of your life to learning how) then Picaxe is better.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Just curious, does the PICAXE support in circuit debugging on the as well?

Bob

I believe so. The SerTX pin sends data back to the PC and interpreter during program download and debugging.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
But why be stuck with a preprogrammed (thus limited) chip, when you can program the chip to do anything yourself?

As I type this, I guess the answer is that if one can program, then PICkit is better, but if one can't program (and don't want to devote a sizeable chunk of your life to learning how) then Picaxe is better.

Well, we'll all have our reasons for going the easy Picaxe rout. It could range from the absolute minimum startup cost that are hard to beat, or it could be because it's the absolute easiest rout to learning how to program and use uC's. I purchased VB6 soon after it was introduced but I've been programming with it for only 7 years. I'm too old to take on a brain bender like any version of 'C'. :D

BTW, you seem to consider programming in Picaxe Basic as not worthy of the definition. I invite you to run a Picaxe without writing code first. :p

Chris

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
It also depends on what you are going to do in the future. If you were only going to do a couple of 1-off projects, PICAXE definitely makes sense. If you are going to do a lot of different projects, or, heaven forbid, a production project, it loses it's appeal because of the limited selection of chips and higher cost per chip.

Once you have mastered the C tools, I don't see any advantage to the PICAXE at all.

Bob

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Agreed, but the Picaxe investment is so small that it makes moving up to 'C' programming financially painless from the Picaxe end.

Chris

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
BTW, you seem to consider programming in Picaxe Basic as not worthy of the definition. I invite you to run a Picaxe without writing code first. :p

Chris

I would love to try Picaxe, but a search of both my regular suppliers shows they have never heard of it :confused:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I would love to try Picaxe, but a search of both my regular suppliers shows they have never heard of it :confused:

Picaxe is proprietary. I don't know if they still do but SparkFun sold them. Picaxe ships world wide though and shipping costs are reasonable.

I purchase directly from here.

http://www.picaxe.com/

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Then you're good to go. Even if you had only USB you would still be OK. Just about any USB/Serial dongle that supports RS232 "Break Mode" will work. Today, I think that's all of them. The model that Picaxe sells is best though, as it's completely molded into the dongle with USB plug on the PC end and a standard 1/8" stereo plug on the Picaxe end. Picaxe uses an inexpensive 1/8" stereo jack in all their kit.

Chris

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Hello all,
Thought I would pitch in on this old thread as I am looking for an answer to a similar question.
Looking at purchasing the QL200 Dev board- but I am an currently in the "learning stage" of programming with a Picaxe.
I am comfortable with soldering, electronics backround and have many parts lying around in the shop, but need more time to learn programming and capabilities "language" ;).
Would the QL200 be compatible with, say a 14m2 PICAXE? I imagine I could remove one of the PIC slots and place a ZIF ect. in place with the picaxe micro, is there any other obstacles I would face in this??? I.E board traces
My objective here is to make a "Benchtop center" were I can program and make a mock up of my circuit. This is were the appeal of the QL200 comes in over the PICAXE dev board- the ql has more i/o options.
I deem that is this is possible, then the QL200 is more appealing because I can upgrade my chips to accomodate my programming, correct?
I appreciate anyones input on this- as I am just starting down this road, any input would be great!
Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The QL200 will be fine for testing but the build in programmer is not compatible with the PICAXE IDE, you would need to wire in a PICAXE compadible plug to, not a huge issue... And once you move beyond the PICAXE the built in programmer will come to life, although it's not the 'best' programmer it does the job once you get used the the quirks...

As for ZIF sockets you can just plug them into the exiting sockets on the QL200 board and run with it like that... I'm too lazy to take a picture, but if you ZIF the 18, 20 and 40 pin sockets on the QL200 you will be golden as it will pin out to the other sized sockets (take note of the pin out), and allow you the full spectrum of common PIC chips... No need to ZIF all them, just cross reference the pins...

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
"build in programmer is not compatible with the PICAXE IDE, you would need to wire in a PICAXE compadible plug to, not a huge issue."

Just to clarify, you are talking about the Usb to 1/8" programming cable? I could also use the RS232 port correct? Or take out the USB port that comes w the QL200 and switch it to the standard usb?

"but if you ZIF the 18, 20 and 40 pin sockets on the QL200 you will be golden"

The thought i had is too zif the 18 pin port to accept my 14m2 PICAXE. Just to clafiy again, the i/o pin outs are the same with the PICs? I believe my PICAXE has all inputs on the left and outs on the right. As you stated, when I advance further than a Picaxe ill just use the Zif for a Pic istead.
Thank you for your input! As this board is a bit spendy I wouldent like to make this investment, if it wont aid in my learning at the current stage with the PICaxe.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Just to clarify, you are talking about the Usb to 1/8" programming cable?

Yes, just hook that up to the take off headers for the appropriate pins...

I could also use the RS232 port correct?

Can't comment...

Or take out the USB port that comes w the QL200 and switch it to the standard usb?

Again can't comment...

I would just bring out he 1/8 jack to the pin headers and use it like that if you are doing the PICAXE thing...

The thought i had is too zif the 18 pin port to accept my 14m2 PICAXE. Just to clafiy again, the i/o pin outs are the same with the PICs?

Yes, the PICAXE chips are just PIC chips with a proprietary bootloader installed... The pin out will match the pin out of the PIC they are based upon... NOT all PICs use the same pinout that is why you need the multiple ZIF sockets as some of the PIC family swap pins around, that is if you want to explore more than one series of chips...

I believe my PICAXE has all inputs on the left and outs on the right.

No, most ports are in or out...

Would this be what I would be looking for?? Instead of swapping out the USB ports or using the RS232?-

Again if you are just using PICAXE chips just wire up the 1/8" jack to the appropriate pins, there are headers for all the pins on the board just plug the jack in...