Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Home Made Batteries

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Well, I don't think my homemade batteries are good anyway. But I'm having fun with them and learning a lot. However, I must admit that they are getting better. Especially with help from friendly people here on this forum.

That's good! If you learn something from it, I'd call that a successful project.

Two things you should play around with and see what you can get are concentration and electrode surface area.

I've already explained concentration in a nutshell, but to play around with it, take some vinegar, for example, and boil off some of the water. You should have concentrated it. Try a battery with the concentrate versus the normal stuff right out of the bottle and see what you get.

Electrode surface area - a battery works by the reaction between the electrolyte and the metal. This means that in the middle of the battery, nothing is "happening" aside from electron transfer - no reaction occurs there. It occurs on the outside of the electrode.

Larger electrode = larger reaction = more energy yield

That being said, try finding various metal objects of different sizes and wiring the leads to them, and test them all with a common electrolyte (acid or base). You should get better performance out of the one with the larger plates!

Just some food for thought.

solidus

Dustin Smith

Jun 27, 2012
Yes, thanks Solidus. I've made at least 9 different types of batteries of various sizes and cell numbers so far. I'm starting to prefer using bleach as apposed to salt because the salt batteries just corrode up so fast.

Speaking of which, I have a question.
SITUATION: I have a bleach battery of 4 cells connected in series. They have been powering a 5mm white LED for 24 hours. I disconnected them for testing purposes and found I needed to adjust two of the cells. When I put them back together they were putting out 5.12V! I thought cool! So I tested the amps and ended up with around 34mA and slowly rising. Then I retested the volts and found they dropped to under 3. When I attatched my resistor protected LED I retested the voltage it remained close to 3V. So I removed the resistor and got a nicer light.
QUESTION:
Why did my battery give me such a spiked reading from the get go? If I had attached my LED and resistor I suspect it could have blown because my resistor was only 33 Ohms, set up from the previous day of 3.8V of battery power.