Connect with us

high temperature caps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by johnT, Oct 31, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. johnT


    Oct 31, 2009
    can i replace a 105deg cap with an 85deg cap in my pc monitor?
  2. Resqueline


    Jul 31, 2009
    Yes you sometimes can, but of course expect it to live a lot shorter than the original.
    The prob is that the 105deg one is probably a low-esr, while the 85deg ones are usually not, making them run even hotter than the original. You might also get undesirably high ripple voltages that might impair operation.
    If it's a small one (0.5-4.7uf) you migh want to opt for a plastic replacement which would give you the best performance and an infinite lifespan.
  3. jerryg50


    Apr 18, 2010
    High Temp Rated Cap vs Low Temp Rated Cap

    You can replace the cap with a lower temperature rated one, but its lifespan will most likely be reduced. It may be worth the extra effort to order a proper cap with the proper temperature rating. :)

    Jerry G.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day