Maker Pro
Maker Pro

High RPM Slip Ring Recommendation

Night Watcher

Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

I bought an EMAX RS 2205 2600KV Motor, and I want to attach a slip ring to it that has 6 cables.

The slip ring will be turning at a minimum of 1440-1800 RPM, ideally it would be running at 3600 RPM, and at max it might be running at 72000 RPM. However depending on the price of such a slip ring I might settle for the minimum RPM.
The slip ring will be running for a few minutes on occasions, and therefor there's no need to look for something too durable, but I don't want something of terrible quality either.
I would appreciate your recommendation for a high speed slip ring that fits the criteria and can be installed on this motor, preferably from a company that ships worldwide.
Note that I never used a slip ring before, therefor I am unsure how to install one on this motor, and I would appreciate some pointers as well.

This is the motor I bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMA...CW-Black-Prop-Nut-RS2205-for/32694139341.html

Thank you :)

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
sliprings will probably not be very reliable. How about a wireless solution?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Whatever it is that you put on the rotor: at 72000rpm it will fly off at high speed unless very, very, very carefully balanced. Even at a comparatively small 3600 rpm you need careful balancing.

A typical car tire rotates ~ 500 rotations per km. If a car runs at 200 km/h, that is equivalent to 100000 rotations / 60 minutes = 1666 rpm which is much less than what you expect. And you know that a car tire needs to be balanced to get a decent operating lifetime.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
o_O Isn't the rotor a permanent magnet type?
Please tell us where the slip rings will be connected on the rotor and what signals they will be passing.

I was involved with getting strain gauge signals from a railway wheelset which could go to 1000rpm. The slip ring unit cost the earth and was unreliable due to vibration. When I left the organisation, they were developing a radio system but the rotating batteries would not work properly due to the centrifugal force pushing the electrolyte to one end.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The motor is an out runner where the outer shell of the motor is the rotor.
So anything would need to be attached to/around it.
M.

Night Watcher

Nov 6, 2017
Hello everyone, thank you for the prompt reply, here are more info:
The engine will be rotating a 50 cm rectangular piece, which holds some electrical components that I want to control using the signal transmitted by the microcontroller.
That is why I want to use a slip ring, if you think there is a better way to approach this please let me know.

Also if I can't in any way send the signal from the micro controller to the spinning piece, let's assume that I can attach the microcontroller to spinning piece, how can I send power? The battery is pretty heavy and large to attach to the spinning part.

Night Watcher

Nov 6, 2017
o_O Isn't the rotor a permanent magnet type?
That was my point also.....

I don't want to charge the rotor, I want to send an electrical signal to the components attached to the rotor

Whatever it is that you put on the rotor: at 72000rpm it will fly off at high speed unless very, very, very carefully balanced. Even at a comparatively small 3600 rpm you need careful balancing.

A typical car tire rotates ~ 500 rotations per km. If a car runs at 200 km/h, that is equivalent to 100000 rotations / 60 minutes = 1666 rpm which is much less than what you expect. And you know that a car tire needs to be balanced to get a decent operating lifetime.

The piece attached to the rotor is fairly large (50cm) and therefor a little easier to balance, I've worked on something before, and you are right pieces do fly off, but with the right gluing method I managed to keep my components attached

Please tell us where the slip rings will be connected on the rotor and what signals they will be passing.

I was involved with getting strain gauge signals from a railway wheelset which could go to 1000rpm. The slip ring unit cost the earth and was unreliable due to vibration. When I left the organisation, they were developing a radio system but the rotating batteries would not work properly due to the centrifugal force pushing the electrolyte to one end.

The device I am building is more of a toy grade, maybe it might be cheaper and more reliable...I hope? I can find an equivalent solution for the wireless approach, though how do I send power, because I can't attach the battery

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I think you need to outline exactly what it is you are trying to do to get any relative help. Personally I cannot see your getting anywhere near your rev range with a 500mm disc not to mention any additional load.

Night Watcher

Nov 6, 2017
fFGdYOV.png
I think you need to outline exactly what it is you are trying to do to get any relative help. Personally I cannot see your getting anywhere near your rev range with a 500mm disc not to mention any additional load.

I made a quick diagram of what I am trying to build
The rotor has a PCB on it containing identical components which should be perfect for balancing. I do not know how much the rotor weights yet since not all components are built yet, but it should not exceed 50 grams.

The RPM I mentioned is the maximum limit I want to reach, though the device can still operate at a lower RPMs

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
To begin with, I do not think those little motors would have any chance of spinning a 500 mm disc at even the low range of 1800 rpm. Secondly, I don't think you are aware of the centrifugal forces that would be exerted again at the minimum quoted speed. Time to do a re-think maybe.

Night Watcher

Nov 6, 2017
To begin with, I do not think those little motors would have any chance of spinning a 500 mm disc at even the low range of 1800 rpm. Secondly, I don't think you are aware of the centrifugal forces that would be exerted again at the minimum quoted speed. Time to do a re-think maybe.

I have built a similar device with heavier unbalanced components and a slower engine before, therefor I am positive this will work. Yes you are right there is a lot of heavy balancing work that needs to be done but it is doable.
The question is not how can I reach those speeds, the questions is where can I find component that would work even if I reached that speed.

For this iteration I need to send 5 cables to to the rotor. With some trade-overs I can reduce that number to 2 cables for power source transfer.

P.S.: I did some adjustments to the design, and just needs to run at half the specified RPMs, Also let's reduce the length of the rotor to 30 cm diameter

Last edited: