Maker Pro
Maker Pro

High output air ionizer

Fischer

Mar 1, 2012
Hello all.
I'm somewhat new to electronics and would like to build a high output air ionizer to install in my diesle truck to improve milage and reduce emitions.

from what i've read there a pretty simple project to make, but i still need help with the basics.

whats the best voltage? 10k, 20k, ect...
how do I step up the voltage from 12v dc to the high voltage it needs?

what are the best matirials to use for the needle points? I was thinking graphite because of its conductive properties.

diodes? capaciters? thats another thing i need help on.

please excuse my spelling.

any help would be great! thanks

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
to clarify, you said you have a diesel truck, are you sure it is running at 12VDC? some diesel trucks run at 24VDC

You may want to look into an HID Ballast, some of them run between 10,000 to 20,000 volts AC, and those are already made for in car/truck use

That way you dont have to build anything for the power, just for the ionization part of it.

Fischer

Mar 1, 2012
it is a 12vdc system. I know that for sure. And I'll look into a HID Ballast. Thanks!

Fischer

Mar 1, 2012
can i use a simple voltage inverter and run an 120vac ballast?
I'm reading that there more reliable.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just be sure you're not chasing rainbows.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Too bad the automakers are in a conspiracy with the oil companies to suppress all the simple modifications that double gas milage and halve emissions. Why not go for a hydrogen generator too while you are at it?

Bob

Fischer

Mar 1, 2012
Ok, I'm thinking that the ready made power supply is the way to go.

This is where I need help.

the reason in using capacitors and diodes is to multiply the voltage right?

so with that already done can't I just connect the negative lead to the emitters and be done with it?

that sounds too easy.

please help clarify.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok, I'm thinking that the ready made power supply is the way to go.

perhaps.

the reason in using capacitors and diodes is to multiply the voltage right?

well, there is a circuit that uses diodes and capacitors to do this (for an AC input), but it's not their general or most frequent use.

so with that already done can't I just connect the negative lead to the emitters and be done with it?

No idea. Maybe.

that sounds too easy.

please help clarify.

without more information we can't answer. A circuit diagram would be nice. Or specs for your commercial power supply.

I hope this doesn't cost you too much. Because it does sound like wasted money.

Fischer

Mar 1, 2012
perhaps.

well, there is a circuit that uses diodes and capacitors to do this (for an AC input), but it's not their general or most frequent use.

No idea. Maybe.

without more information we can't answer. A circuit diagram would be nice. Or specs for your commercial power supply.

I hope this doesn't cost you too much. Because it does sound like wasted money.

you know, if you have no input than why dont you just stay out of it.
I know i dont have any expirience with these things. thats why i'm on this forum asking questions.

as far as how much it cost, its none of your business. i'll spend as much as i see fit.

get off your high horse or butt out.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you don't want to let me try to help you then I can close the thread for you.

I am sceptical, yes. But you also haven't provided enough information to allow your questions to be answered.

Now, do you want to be a little more civil?