Maker Pro
Maker Pro

high frequency audio amplifiers

flippityflop

Feb 2, 2014
i'm gonna be building stereo speakers (and a subwoofer too, later on). each pair would have a tweeter and a mid-range speaker inside an enclosure. i was thinking of using a crossover to separate the high frequency from the mid-range frequency stereo signal coming in. i would then use 2 amplifiers each for the the high frequency and mid-range frequency stereos feeding it to the tweeter and mid-range speaker, respectively. pretty standard.

i'm building the tweeter first, which btw only has to be around 15W or something like that... so, i was wondering are there any amplifiers out there specialized for high frequency band?? or should i just get the same amplifiers for both??

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi
All decent audio amplifier ICs should extend beyond 20Khz.. That's about the top end of adult humans hearing limit. All you need is a passive crossover after the amplifier which blends the audio together at the correct frequency and power for each speaker. The power handling of tweeter speakers reduce by 1/4 per octave below it's lower frequency limit. You can damage them if you don't get the cross over right.

Bass 90-120Hz
Lower Voice 120Hz-500Hz
Upper voice 600Hz-4Khz
Tweeter 4Khz-8Khz

I would use one power amplifier personally with a passive crossover. But the same amp for all frequency ranges should be ok as long as it has the required bandwidth.

Adam

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Elliott Sound Products http://sound.westhost.com/ is an excellent site full of well-written articles on subjects related to audio and electronics. I try to avoid it because I will spend hours reading and learning. He has a few articles on crossovers, and many on amplifiers, but there's also bound to be other gems of information that will be of value to you.

flippityflop

Feb 2, 2014
i decided i'm just gonna go buy the amp from ebay (can't beat their prices). there are some class D amplifiers there built on good TI amplifiers ICs.