Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hi . no idea about electrics but need some help

pntbllr1972

May 2, 2018
hi .
I run an escape room and I wish to put a puzzle in it .this will involve a wooden box with a hole in it .So when the players put the periscope they find in the hole they will see the code in the box.
what I want to add is a battery powered light in the box but it will only turn on when someone holds down a button on the outside of the box.
I think its doable but I am unsure what I need to do it .
if anyone could help I would glad of any of your guys knowledge.
Thank you

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.
What you're looking for is the most basic electric circuit consisting of a battery, a lamp, a pushbutton and some wire.
Note that the schematics in the above link typically show a switch. As you want the light to be on only while the button is pressed, use a momentary switch for that purpose.

You may also consider a variation of your idea: Use a reed switch to close the electric circuit. Hide the reed switch within the box, e.g. such that it is directly behind an engraved ornament. Use some gadget with a strong enough magnet which has to be placed directly above the ornament. The magnet will actuate the switch, the light will come on only if the gadget (with magnet) is placed in the correct location.
Place some hint in your escape room theat allows players to find the gadget and the correct way of using it.

pntbllr1972

May 2, 2018
Hi Harald.yes that looks like whag i want to achieve with the momentary .i think the switch which that makes the circut whdn it is pressed and breaks it when you remove your finger is what i am looking for.
If you do not mind could you tell me the parts i need to build this circut and a good supplier .
Thanks John

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The parts are
- momentary switch
- battery (possibly with battery holder for easy exchange)
- lamp (voltage needs tp match the battery voltage
- wire

You can get them from any electronics suplier that is convenient for you. Also from hobby stores, model railway stores, Amazon etc.