Connect with us

Hi guys, need help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by zgaja, Sep 13, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. zgaja

zgaja

Sep 13, 2017
    Hi guys i am new here.I am try to fix my Asus Dsl n55u router.Its stoped working in thunder storm, i have one component that am sure that is some kind of surge protector but cant recognize 100% what component is. It is behind Adsl plug, it looks like resistor but it is made of glass . you can find it in picture just behind blue adsl rj45 plug and near him writes Rv201.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir zgaja . . . . .

If you see a tiny round black cylindrical rod element inside its a transient absorber such as you would typically expect to find inside of Telco and modems. Should probably be good. There are the T and R line pairs going into the
    Link com DC isolation / line matching transformer . . . . check for digital signal over on the primary windings.
    If power supply related problems the YELLOW is the main section with its RED star resettable SS breaker and the Greyish /PINK marked areas are being sub power sections.

MARKED UP REFERENCE:

Router PCB.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2017
  3. zgaja

zgaja

Sep 13, 2017
    Thanks for response,my problem with router is that almost everything is working except Dsl line.I can conect to router by wifi or wire and when try to configurate my ISP network settings just writes that my telephone (Dsl) wire is unplugged.

4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Does your incoming phone line have its own ADSL filter (many do) - if so it will need changing.

5. zgaja

zgaja

Sep 13, 2017
    Thanks for responce, no i dont have filter(splitter) because i use this line just for internet

6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir zgaja . . . .

OK then at that time I did not know if a power supply was involved or not . . . . since it seems to be just the adsl rj45
    aspect of the unit . . .and the incoming line is probably fine.
    BUT have you run in a lap top and checked out that line.
    If all is well then, the RV201 should have covered any high fast spike input supression . . . and I don't see it exploded or having the glasss fractured. There is also additional protection being provided by a set of diodes on the T and R lines . . . they are located just to the right and left of the LAL2009 input transforner symbolization marking..
    They probably will ohm out as the value of the windings that they are shunting, unless they have crunched and failed co9mpletely down to a dead short.
    If all tests out up to this point, the simplest next test will be the plugging in of the DSL line and use of an oscilloscope for the scoping of the just described junctions for digital activity. OR, if having none yourself, you need a techno-friend that has a scope that can do that test.

73's de Edd

7. zgaja

zgaja

Sep 13, 2017
    73's de Edd Thank you very much for helping, yes my Dsl is ok, i tested it with another router.I will try to test those diodes. Best regards

Ask a Question