Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hi, Everyone. I'm completely new to electronics. :^)

atxjess

May 30, 2015
Hi,

My name is Jesse, I'm new to electronics but have a good amount of programming experience in a C++ based language. I've done some research and have some books. I have $40 to spend on hardware. Where should I start?

This place seems to have good deals including a solder kit for $17.50. But I don't know if that is really a good deal or just cheap. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/

P.S about me: I'm from Austin, TX, I'm 21, My favorite commodity to trade is EURUSD. My favorite food is Barbecue but a close second fried gulf shrimp. My favorite color is green, My favorite game right now is LOL, My favorite game of all time is Zelda Ocarina of time on Nintendo 64, I enjoy cooking, eating, gaming, commodities trading, and wandering(wondering) through life.

P.S.S I think I will fit in here.
smiley-mr-green.png

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You certainly will fit in with a sense of humour like that, welcome aboard Jesse. The website looks good, can't comment on the prices, I live in rip off Britain :) where everything is expensive even the cheap shite. I buy most of my stuff from Amazon traders where they do some good component kits. Like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobby-Compo...d=1432994096&sr=8-6&keywords=electronics+kits

You should be able to find this sort of thing cheaper over there.

Thanks
Adam

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Electronics for Dummies, not an insult, it is an excellent book for some project ideas. The book guides you through the basics and will enable you to read a slightly more complex book, I would recommend Success in Electronics by Tom Duncan for a second book, a relatively old book but still very relevant, going into more depth on specific components.

If you need any help with starting electronics projects I am happy to guide you through.

I hope this helps,

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Maybe I should read that one lol.
Adam
More my level.
I think you'd make a good author.
It's not just about having the technical know how, it's about explaining things so that the reader understands.
Funny thing, I always learn or remember something when I go back to basics.

atxjess

May 30, 2015
Awesome, Thanks for the advice. I got the books you mentioned from my library. I decided to try the Magnetism Lab Kit from the place I mentioned before because It comes with stuff I will need like a breadboard for prototyping(I got that far I think :confused:). Didn't order one yet but the Fish Caller kit seems like a cool concept, wonder if it works.