Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hi everyone. CAP help, please?

custimguitarman

Oct 13, 2010
Hello.I am new here obviously. I have spent the last couple of years trying to learn the finer points of electronics. I am currently ( pun intended) in a pickle with one of my motorcycles.

KTM enduro uses a single phase alternator to power the lighting system. There is a voltage reg. and then a 10,000 microF 25V electrolytic cap parrallel with the lights.

I'm trying to source the cap online and can't find the exact rated cap. Question is.....what happens when I play with the ratings? Meaning.....what direction do I want to go to be safe and still work right?

Now for the dandy.........If I use a bridge rec to straighten out the AC where can I go after that to limmit the voltage?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
10,000uF 25V capacitors are quite easy to find. You're probably looking at between $2 and $4 and pretty much anyone selling electronic components will have them. The main concern will be getting one that is physically the same size, presuming space is at a premium.

I'm not sure why you want to replace the current regulator, and if a 10,000uF 25V capacitor is already in use, then rectification of some sort is already happening.

I would be cautious of a bridge rectifier in this sort of application as one side of the alternator's output may already be connected to the frame, as may one connection of the headlamp. It would be highly unusual for the alternator not to have an integral diode bridge to create a rectified AC waveform in any case. (please note that vehicle electrics is not my area of speciality though).

To regulate the voltage, you would use a (wait for it) regulator. What's wrong with the one you have already?

It sounds a bit like you're fixing something that's not broken. I'm sure you're not, so it may be good to tell us exactly what's wrong...

custimguitarman

Oct 13, 2010
the current regulator is cooked. A replacement is cost prohibitive. Prior to me knowing the reg was fried upon revving the engine the cpacitor blew. I then got to checking deeper and found that I was indeed getting rectified DC with the regulator connected but is was running as high as 50 volts when revved.