Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hi all, from a different tradesperson.

ChristianB

Nov 16, 2018
Hello guys and girls.
My names Christian and I'm from England. I'm a cabinet maker by trade, but I've been the stay at home dad for the last couple of years, plying my trade at craft fairs with rustic or shabby chic wood crafts. In the new year, I really would like to expand into a more modern resin/wood home lighting and sculpture type of affair. I have had my fill of organic homeopathic soaps, crocheted teapot warmers and beaded jewellery.
I really need advice on the legality of selling self made lighting in the UK before I can continue.
Any and all help would be much appreciated!
Over the last twenty years or so, I've been no stranger to rewiring sockets, continuity testing power tools and machinery and many other electrical odd jobs. But they have always been on a fix it yourself or do without basis.
I should be able to wrap my head around some basic lighting without too much fuss, but I defer entirely to your expertise.
Im going to go throw up a thread specific to my needs, then read everything I can thats relevant to my interests.
Its a pleasure to meet you all :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I would imagine you will have to get some form of electrical certification for each and every product type if they in any way connect to mains supply.

That would cover the electrical requirement, then I imagine there would be other consumer related certifications that would cover things such as say small bits that kids have access to that they can shove in their gob or whatever. List would be rather long and I would imagine approaching some government agency would be a good move. ( and a solicitor as well just to be on the safe side)
How deep are your pockets?

ChristianB

Nov 16, 2018
Indeed, that's where I'm at a loss. I'm not new to the CE certificate thing. I've made many jigsaws and toy trains etc, that have to be CE certified for kids. The kid based testing is pretty stringent, but it only applies to items aimed at children. I'm looking more at desk lamps and chandelier type lighting. As they aren't aimed at children, the CE standards are more relaxed. As each piece will be a one of a kind, its only really the electrical testing side that should be an issue. I've heard of PAT testing, but not sure if that's relevant with new lighting made from kits, or what electrical certification would be required?
You don't see many electrical items at craft fairs. In fact I've only seen one, which was an old chap who had mounted Edison style LED bulbs on old railway sleepers. I did ask, but he was evasive. Either he didn't want to share what he new, or he was being naughty.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
As each piece will be a one of a kind

I don't know the regulations there, but suspect you will have an easier time if you use already-certified external wall wart or brick style mains AC-DC adapters to power them, so your unique design starts with an Extra Low Voltage DC input.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Absolutely.

The modern trend is for LED lighting anyway and all sorts of bulb types, shapes, colours etc are available that operate at LOW VOLTS and can be powered using 'already certified' power supplies. The added safety of ELV (extra low voltage) means you avoid a plethora of legislation issues not to mention insurance costs.