Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Website Domain/Domain Records

TRAPTRAP

Sep 14, 2014
I have a few questions about Web Domains, I thought someone here would be able to help.

My first question, I know most domains, like GoDaddy cost around $10 yearly? Is that $10 or so, the only fee I have to pay to own the domain until I have to pay again the next year? There isn't any fee per clicks on my sites domain by visitors, that will cost me thousands of dollars a month is there?

My second question, If any one could give me a VERY simple description of what DOMAIN RECORDS are, and how to update them.

MX, CNAME, A, TXT, I think I need to know all about, and be able to understand. At the moment I have little to no idea what those are. So if it can be broken down SIMPLY?

Here's the link to the WIX site I'm using, and their tutorial page on it. They only speak in a manner, as if I already know what they are, though. They don't help a lot.

http://www.wix.com/support/html5/domains/managing-your-domain-records/

Thanks to anyone who can help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi

I am no expert on this ,,,, but own several domain names plus a couple of hosting packages
my domain names from a reputable aka been around a long time company cost me AU$16 / yr
That's just the domain name. I pay for site hosting packages separately and from a different company
They cost a respectable bit of money > AU$100 / yr for XX gig of storage and upload/download amounts

There are places that offer cheap hosting, but in general they are not as reliable and often come with unwanted advertising
( that's how they keep it cheaper ;) )

There are domain registration companies out there that can tell you if a particular domain name is available
cant suggest anything offhand ... google may shed light on them :)

cheers
Dave

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I've moved your thread to the off-topic members forum. It is not appropriate in the general electronics chat forum.

It's probably best to ask on a relevant site. Electronics Point is dedicated to electronics. There's a hint in the name! Alternatively, call or email godaddy.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
davenn pointed out another key element here.
Your website name must be registered, but you also need a place for your website to exist... somewhere on a server.
This can get a little more complicated and expensive once you start to offer extra services like IRC, Email, Voip servies, etc.

I personally pay ~$30 CDN every year for my domain name. It is more expensive than other registrars, but I am paying for an extra feature. Long story short, this lets me host my own website from an old desktop I have sitting beside my desk. This is not suitable for high volume sites, and care must be taken to protect yourself by making sure your web software is up to date, and a proper firewall is setup. (Some internet providers dis-allow this)

You will also find that certain web hosts will provide you with a bundle price to host the website files, register the name and take care of email.
Prices vary depending on how much space you need for your site, and how much bandwidth you are expecting to use each month. Plans are commonly (but not always) setup in a tiered system, so if you accidentally go over your bandwidth allocation, you pay your next bill as if you had upgraded your plan. The other option is to charge you based on the exact amount you go over, and the charge per MB or GB should be made clear to you before-hand.
Ads can be used to help mitigate the cost of running a website, and they usually pay per click, or per impressions (display). The amount is very low, but if you put out some popular content, fractions of cents can and do add up very quickly.

Are you interested in learning, or do you have a project you would like to attempt?
If this is something small scale for learning, or for you and a couple friends type thing, let us know.

There are 'free' websites available, and you can use them with personal hardware you may have at home.
I could help you get a learning system up and running that will cost you nothing except a little time.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I use a host called 1and1. You can get started at about $9 USD/month. You also get a free included domain. Extra domains are about $15/year. I have been with them since 2004 and never had an outage. My package includes unlimited email, ftp, and traffic. You can see just what you will get by visiting them. There are probably cheaper hosts but this by far is the best deal I have found.