Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with voltage controlled switch

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Likewise here. I can't distinguish schematic symbol of depletion and enhancement mode mosfet. All I know was both were FET. Schematic symbol of mosfet were from ExpressSCH library.

Never designed a circuit with Mosfet before. This is my first time. That's the reason I have mistakes with the mosfet portion of the circuit.

I have experience repairing power supplies w/ mosfet. I just replaced it with same part number if found defective.

Thanks for the link.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The problem with mosfets are that the symbols are both more complex and less "standard" than for bipolar transistors.

I prefer diagrams which indicate enhancement vs depletion mode, however that's not a difference like N vs P channel. It is a continuum, with (say) logic level enhancement mosfets being closer to depletion mode than a "regular" mosfet. And given that one could conceivable create a mosfet where the spread of Vgs(th) spans 0V (and hence a random device could be enhancement or depletion mode). In that case, what symbol would you use?

So, pretty much , I assumed it was an enhancement mode device regardless of the symbol you used :D

That, and I've not seen a depletion mode power mosfet. But hey, they exist.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I can't say I am surprised by your comments steve. Always a monkey wrench somewhere in the mess.