Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with varistor

shane cripps

Dec 15, 2017
hi there, i am some what of an amateur when it comes to electronics, i am confident replacing like for like components and building small circuits however recently i managed to overload a 240v led strip light and it has damaged the varistor, ive been searching for the same one to replace it but it would appear to be impossible to find one with the exact same numbers on it, so my question really is, is it as simple as finding one with the same ( or close to it) specification? i have managed to find spec charts to help me narrow down my search but i just fear that im not knowledgeable enough to trust my own opinion. any help would be appreciated. the numbers on the varitor are 7n471k if it makes any difference. many thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Googling the device code comes up with this:

http://www.spiratronics.com/data/6815.pdf

which tells you everything you need to know about that particular varistor and the range it comes
from.

You can then use the information to find a similar device from other manufacturers. Visit the Digikey site and use their parametric search facility to find either the identical device or one with similar values.

shane cripps

Dec 15, 2017
hi thank you for your reply, I just wanted to be sure as I have found different varistors with the similar specification but didn't want to just go on a hunch. :)