Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Unknown Component

Henry Martinez

Jan 22, 2015
Hi everyone. So i was wondering if i could get help from everyone here after having no luck in finding a datasheet or info regarding what i believe it could be a MOV. So i have this surge protector which i think its pretty good and i like it cus it does what i pay for however recently i had a sc while connecting a rectifier and the thing blew haha. So i went and opened it and found that a few components were burned, after checking all the components in the outlet i found 1 cap failing, 2 fuses blown and this weird component that i still dont know what it is. I'll upload pictures of the component so you guys can see it, if anyone knows what this is pls let me know i really wanna fix it xD. I know i could just go and buy another one for the same price i would spend buying the parts however im the type of diy guy so before getting one i wanna try to fix it and save garbage going to the landfills.

Ohh and im sorry for the grammar as you guys can see english is not my native language. Thank you in advance...

Edit: The component im referring to its the orange square, sorry i forgot to mention that before.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Henry
What's the strange component? The orange squares or the white axial component?
Adam

Henry Martinez

Jan 22, 2015
Hi Arouse, amm im sorry i forgot to mention in the msg what component i was referring to lol. Yeah the orange one thats the one my friend.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what marking, if any, is on the circuit board below them ?
I see markings for other components on the board

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Defiantly an MOV. The first letters after the S1 I think is the size 20mm. The D is the type, I think means disc. And the 201 is the voltage rating. Which is 200 volt threshold and max working voltage of 130 A.C and 175 V D.C.
Adam

Henry Martinez

Jan 22, 2015
OMW! Dude ur awesome!!! Thank you very much for the help .... been looking for an answer to that for 2 days.

According to the specs you mentioned, i was able to find a similar MOV since i wasn't able to find the same replacement part online nor ebay. Im about to get this one what do you guys think??? should it work just fine ...

Attachments

• MOV.JPG
    MOV.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 167

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Bit low on the current I think. You got it bang on apart from the max surge current. I think the part in your pic is a 10-15 KA type. See if you can find one, or a 20mm disc rated for 10 KA. If not then the part you chose will work but it might fail quicker than the other parts. I wouldn't want you going through that again.
Adam

Henry Martinez

Jan 22, 2015
Bit low on the current I think. You got it bang on apart from the max surge current. I think the part in your pic is a 10-15 KA type. See if you can find one, or a 20mm disc rated for 10 KA. If not then the part you chose will work but it might fail quicker than the other parts. I wouldn't want you going through that again.
Adam

Thanks again for all tha help, i think i finally found one on ebay for a decent price. Like u say it might go quicker than the others but at least i know what it is this time. Have a Wonderful day Sir =).

VARISTOR, METAL OXIDE, 240V, 20MM, 10%
  • Series:MOV-20D
  • Varistor Type:Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV)
  • Peak Surge Current @ 8/20µs:6.5kA
  • Varistor Case:Disc 20mm
  • Clamping Voltage Vc Max:395V
  • Voltage Rating V DC:200V
  • Voltage Rating V AC:150V
  • Operating Temperature Min:-40_C
  • Operating Temperature Max:85_C
  • SVHC:No SVHC (19-Dec-2012)
  • Operating Temperature Range:-40_C to +85_C