Connect with us

Help with understanding current/power

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by honken, Oct 14, 2012.

1. honken

honken

Oct 9, 2012
    Hi all.

First of all i would like to point out that i know i might be over my head with this question.
    But its also something that will make me understand how things works in a different way then normal tutorials.

And im new to this (again) :)

I saw this complete pcb layout and components list, but one thing i dont understand is when i look at it, it say that it has a 5V regulator and quote:

"You will need to use a suitable DC power supply rated between 9 and 12 volts and able to supply at least 200mA"

Do this mean this can be run on a 9v normal battery that can be purchased in any store?
    If anwser is NO, is it then possible to change some stuff on this, to make it run on a 9V regular battery?

To give you more information this is the link to the site:
    http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/ledchaser/index.htm#In_Fig.3

The reason i ask this, is because im note sure how it really works right now, still trying to catch up on things.

So if anyone has a information page/tutorial regarding this, or an answer with a explanation i would like to take part of that information.

Cheers
    Honken

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A standard 9V battery block has a capacity of approx. 400mAh when discharged at 200mA. Thus the battery will be empty after 2hours; 2hours*200mA=400mAh.
    This is not a typical application for that kind of battery. Use a "wall wart" like this one. That was meant by
    Harald

3. honken

honken

Oct 9, 2012
    OK cool, thanks for your reply.
    approx 2 hours seems okey, since the use for this will be in a RC car, but then as always there is the question how to change the layout of the circuits to increase the life time before battery change/recharge.
    But that will properly be a later question.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Or you could bypass the regulator and use 4 NIMH AA batteries to get longer running time, more like 10 hours at 2000 maH.

Bob

Ask a Question