Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with timers

wombatbrad

Jun 6, 2014
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and I need help here is my problem.

I have an instant electric hot water service that is on an automatic dog wash. After 30 or 40 minutes the hot water system automatically turns off, must be some kind of safety feature. I need it to stay on so what I have done is soldered two wires of the back of the push button on off button. it is normally closed and when you push on the button it goes to open.

I need some kind of relay or something that will open that circuit twice every 20 or 30minutes so that the water service stays powered all times. so that it turns the power off and then back on straight away. I have some ideas using timers and delay timers but was hoping there might be a simple way.

any help would be great

wombatbrad

Jun 6, 2014
sorry just read that back and thought I would clarify I need it to go on and off within a couple seconds so it doesn't go cold if someone is using it. so it resets that internal timer shutoff

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi Brad and welcome to Electronics Point :)

If it's a safety feature, then you shouldn't be disabling it, right? It may also be designed to protect the heating element against burning out; I don't know. Also, do you know how much power it would draw if you kept it running 24/7?

I do know that if you're considering modifying any heating equipment, you should read your insurance policy carefully first!

If you need it to be hot when the dog gets into it, could you arrange it so the dog activates something as it goes into the wash? Or does it take a long time to heat up? You said it's an "instant" system. Something like a broken beam detector might be enough. Can you give us more information on the project?

Petkan

Feb 9, 2011
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and I need help here is my problem.

I have an instant electric hot water service that is on an automatic dog wash. After 30 or 40 minutes the hot water system automatically turns off, must be some kind of safety feature. I need it to stay on so what I have done is soldered two wires of the back of the push button on off button. it is normally closed and when you push on the button it goes to open.

I need some kind of relay or something that will open that circuit twice every 20 or 30minutes so that the water service stays powered all times. so that it turns the power off and then back on straight away. I have some ideas using timers and delay timers but was hoping there might be a simple way.

any help would be great
Go to analog .com and download the design utility for TimerBlox family. It is in Excel. You enter your requirements; it offers specific circuit with all component values. Generally you need a timer (like LTC699X) and a solid state relay (SSR) to control the power load.
Look for opto triac based SSR. You will also need a generic AC/DC adapter say 5Vdc to power your timer. Even a 555 timer can do duty cycling the power via opto triac

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
There are dozens of different low cost timer modules on ebay.

What is an automatic dog wash?

ak

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
This thread was almost five years old before @Petkan "bumped" it to the top of the list. KrisBlueNZ passed the year after the thread was started. The original poster (OP) hasn't been seen since June 8, 2014, three days after their original post. So I guess we have now hijacked this thread, courtesy of the @AnalogKid, to discuss the automatic dog wash... whatever that might be. Does anyone think this might be akin to anything like the sheep dip?:rolleyes:

upload_2019-3-7_7-36-58.jpeg

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I continue to be bad at noticing the OP date before responding. oops.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I continue to be bad at noticing the OP date before responding. oops.
No, not "oops!" We now have a fresh thread in which to discuss automatic dog washes (or sheep dips), hopefully with some relevance to helping someone with timers... perhaps even electrical or electronic timers, with perhaps a side bar on instant water heaters with pro and con discussions of how, when, and where to eliminate their safety features... it HAS been kinda dull here lately.