Connect with us

help with siren kit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Will91, Jun 3, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Will91

Will91

Jun 3, 2010
    Hello all:

I new to building electronic kits but am pretty handy as along as I have some instructions to follow.

I would like to build a siren kit for my child's ride-on electric car (Power Wheels variety). I found a siren kit from Velleman that might do the trick - it is model K2604. (Unless there are other siren kits that might be better - please advise if so).

I have several questions for the forum...

1. Velleman says it needs approx 8-14 VDC and 1A. Would a stack of 8 1.5V AA alkaline batteries do the trick? I know an AA battery has a capacity of about 1500 mA hours and the siren would only be only a little bit at a time, so does this sound OK? The car does have a 12V lead acid battery but I don't want to mess with the wiring harness and tap into the car's battery, so hope a stack of AA batteries would be OK.
    2. I need a speaker and have no idea where to start with this. Velleman says the amplifier can power a 2W speaker. My cursory glance at speaker options on the internet seem to specify ohms rather than watts. What do I look for in a speaker appropriate for this project? It should be something I could mount somewhere on the car and be reasonably loud.
    3. Velleman says I need a "normally open push button". Is this a simple rocker switch to turn the siren on and off?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    1. Yes.
    2. Presumably 8 ohms, but it's not very critical.
    3. Any spring loaded (momentary) switch that returns to off when you let go of it will do.

3. JMilisitz

JMilisitz

Dec 2, 2010
    8ohms is correct

you can also use a dimmer

or a radiant switch

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
Ask a Question