Connect with us

Help with siren circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dislocations, Jul 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dislocations

dislocations

Feb 21, 2012
    Hi,
    Hope u are all well since my last visit here (2 years ago?).
    I'm looking for a bit of help with a circuit I'm building. It's a siren based on a 555 which is familiar to many of you. I'd like to make the rise and fall quite long, around 10 seconds from low to high and back to low. I would like to make this a sine wave.
    I also thought of using a 40106 instead of a 555 as I prefer the ease of use. If I did it that way I would use 2 40106's......one modulating the second.
    In the past I've sort of acheived this kind of thing by putting a large cap from the output of the first to ground. I realise this is not the best way? I'd also like to be able to alter the frequency of the first.
    Thats probably as clear as mud? Sorry!!! :eek:

2. dislocations

dislocations

Feb 21, 2012
    Anyone, please!

3. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    You could start by posting a schematic of your ideas so far.

You would like to make "this" a sinewave? The audio signal, or the modulation signal?

You can use a 40106 as a modulated oscillator, but the thresholds are not well-controlled, compared to a 555 where the thresholds are pretty close to 1/3 VCC and 2/3 VCC.

If you want a slow sinewave for your modulation frequency, you might be best to use a two-op-amp triangle/squarewave oscillator followed by a sine shaper. Alternatively you could use direct digital synthesis, but if you go digital it would be simpler to do the modulation inside a microcontroller, using a sinewave lookup table.

4. dislocations

dislocations

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks! I thought op-amp would be the way to go

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Old electronic organs used a phase shift oscillator to generate low frequencies for vibrato. These ran at about 1Hz. Larger capacitors would give lower frequencies I could look up the circuit if you wish.

Ask a Question