Connect with us

Help with replacing an AC adaptor

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Nov 12, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Can you replace a transformer with an input rating of 120VAC 60Hz 12W
    and output rating of 12vdc 500mA with one that has an input rating of
    120vac 60hz 25w and an output rating of 12VDC 1A? Polarity is the
    same. Thanks
  2. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Yes, that'll be just fine (subject to the usual caveats such as detail
    information not supplied).

  3. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

  4. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    ** Is the 500mA one regulated or SMPS ??

    ( SMPS ones are very light weight. )

    What about the replacement - regulated or SMPS ?

    ........ Phil
  5. Guest

    Thanks for everyone's replies. It's what I thought.

    As for the regulated vs SMPS, I don't know. Besides the model number
    there aren't any other specifications on them other than that they are
    both Plug in Class 2 Power Supplies and UL rated. They are both
    adapters for Linksys routers. One for a newer model failed and the
    replacement is from an older model router. They are both heavyish
    square looking transformers.

    Thanks again,
  6. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    ** Do you own a multimeter ??

    If so - use it to check the voltage on the DC plug.

    ......... Phil
  7. mc

    mc Guest

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day