Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with prototype designing

Talco

May 3, 2021
Hello everyone,
I am interested in carrying out a small technological project and before starting it I want to make sure it is possible,
I will refrain from specific details about the project's purpose because I may want to register it as a patent in the future, but if I miss important information please ask me and answer as best I can.
The essence of the project is measuring how many metal objects make contact with the main metal surface, and in case of removing one of the objects, to create a warning.
My question is if there is a sensor that I can attach to the metal surface that will sample the surface tension at any given moment and know how to detect objects that are placed on it, of course, the metal object placed on the surface will be connected to a device too (preferably powered by a small battery) that will give the electrical resistance that the sensor will detect, do you know a product that can help me build the project or at least a prototype, is there a possibility for such a project? do you think of a smarter way to accomplish this project?
Thank you very much for your time and sorry if my questions aren't accurate or professional, this is not my main occupation.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
I read it twice. I have little idea what you want.
What is "surface tension" for a (presumably solid) metal? Is this like high-tension, voltage, potential?
No clue why the other metal things would be also connected to <I have no clue what>.
If they are metal, they are basically conductors. Do you want to measure their, very low, resistance?
Are they big? metres? cms? mm? microns?
Can you place your objects on a touch-screen like the front of a tablet?
camera?
Each object wired make a particular signal that is detected by the bigger? metal surface? Sound, electrical?
Do you need to guard against interference, that is detect things going off with possible other willful actions to disguise the fact?
You specify quite a lot of how you want it done. Resistance, battery, connections.
Sometimes, when in areas that are not ours, it is better to specify what we need and to leave open the how it's done to ideas form people who might better know what is feasible, practical. I can't tell whether this is one of those times as I really just don't get it, sorry.
Maybe someone else will be able to see better than I can.
If details are an issue, you might have to go to someone under a formal NDA.
Your profile is blank, so I can't tell your country. Some places have services that attempt to help entrepreneurs, new ideas.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, you probably need a little more detail about what you want.
It SOUNDS to me like MAYBE 'tension' isn't the word you're looking for here.
If this is a simple detection circuit, I used to build simple water detection circuits using old CMOs 4001 & 4011s
If you're just trying to detect a metal object on a surface, I'd consider a low voltage circuit where the surface is two conductors and when you place a metal object on it, that completes the circuit.
I may be way off base because we're not sure what you're asking. But an idea I thought I throw out there.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
If you're just trying to detect a metal object on a surface, I'd consider a low voltage circuit where the surface is two conductors and when you place a metal object on it, that completes the circuit.

Oh, yeah. I'd immediately pictured random placement of multiple objects. An assumption that may not have been true.