Maker Pro
Maker Pro

help with project

Jonny10

Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I'm 19 and have no electronics experience whatsoever, so bare with me.

What would be the most efficient way (using whatever you can imagine) to make something that recognises a sound? For example, a receiver that recognises me saying 'hello' and then sends a signal (in whatever form).

As far as I can tell, I would need some form of receiver for the sound, and some form of computer (in chip form). As I'm an amateur with this stuff, it would be great to get some help with my project (which I cannot go further into detail about).

I also have help from a friend who can programme, so, sound recognition in code form shouldn't be a problem, the only problem I have is figuring out what is needed and in what way it should be laid out (in circuit form).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonny.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hey Jonny
welcome to the forums :)

getting something to respond to any old sound is 1 thing but getting it to respond to specific soundsand words is a different ball game.

You will need some good voice recognition software that you will load with command words you want to use. "hello" "open" "shut" "on" "off" etc

the software will determine if its your voice and correct words by comparing them to the sounds in the files from the list of stored audio commands you load into it

I personally have never played with that. How difficult its going to get for you I cant really say. but definately a serious and interesting project.

Dave

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Well you will need a way to digitize your voice. That would require an ADC at the very least. Best you start by looking in that direction. Once digitized then it is up to your partner. Think mic > input sound card > software recognition > output w/e (which you will be on your own since you don't want to disclose the project.)

Jonny10

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

The voice thing was just an example. It wouldn't have to differentiate between a persons voice and another persons voice, and then figure out what word was said. It would just need to detect a general tone... sort of like detecting a car driving past but ignoring a dogs bark... it would also ignore if one car drove past, but if 2 cars drove past in less than 5 seconds it would send a signal. Thats just an example though.

I was advised that something like a sonic sensor would do for the receiver, on top of this, i've no idea what one would use to compute the information... what is the most commonly used computer for small products?