Connect with us

Help with power supply

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by AkbarMna, Jun 11, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AkbarMna

AkbarMna

Jun 11, 2018
    Hi, so I'm working on a project that involves a camera and display.
    I'm going to be buying the camera and monitor online, these are the power-related specs from the seller.
    Can someone guide me in selecting a suitable battery pack to power them?

Monitor
    - Power supply: DC 12V-24V
    - Power consumption: 2W

Camera
    - Working Voltage: DC9V-12V±0.5V

I've mainly worked with LED projects in the past, so I know a bit about how to wire those up.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Welcome to EP!
    According to those specs a 12V supply would suit both devices.
    How much current does the camera require?

3. AkbarMna

AkbarMna

Jun 11, 2018
    Hi, thanks for the fast response.
    Here is all the information on the camera:

1.Image Sensor:7070
    2.Video System: PAL/NTSC
    3.Resolution: PAL:682 H*504 NSTC: 648 H*488 V
    4.Horizontal Resolution:480TVL
    5.Electronic Shutter:1s-1/10000s
    6.SNR:>48dB
    7.Min Illumination:0.01LUX
    8.Video Output:1.0Vp-p/ 75Ω
    9.View Angle:170°
    10.Working Voltage: DC9V-12V±0.5V
    11.Waterproof Rate:IP67

And this is a note from the seller "camera can only be connected to 12V, if you're wiring with voltage over 12V, the camera may burn."

[mod edit: cleaned up some unintended smileys]

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This still lacks the information on current consumption or power dissipation :(
    Do you have a model number, link to a website with more information or similar for us?

5. AkbarMna

AkbarMna

Jun 11, 2018
  6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Comparable cameras advertised seem to draw current in the 50mA-200mA range, so a small 12V SLA battery would do the job. However, given the seller's warning about over-volting the camera I'd be tempted to use a voltage regulator to take the camera volts down to, say, 9V.

AkbarMna likes this.
  7. AkbarMna

AkbarMna

Jun 11, 2018
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take your advice and start off with a 9V power supply.
    Thanks again.

8. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    No mention of how long the OP wants to actually RUN the system for on batteries.......

This makes a significant difference to the solution.

9. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    If you have a DMM, and your camera battery or battery-cell housing is suitable, you can place a piece of stiff cardboard as an insulating barrier in the supply line (eg between batteries or one battery terminal and contact).
    Then take 2 lengths of insulated wire (I use solid hookup wire), either side of insulator, so that the connected meter is in Series with the supply & camera.
    For example, my DSLR Pentax uses 3x AAA cells, current varied from about 100-200mA, depending on function.
    My purpose was to roughly calculate mAh vs. maximum workable time.

10. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Need more info about this project, purpose, weight/size/budget, frequency of use, link to monitor, etc, etc.

There are too many variable to make a good guess but if I were to guess, it would be use an 18V Li-Ion power tool battery pack, so it is convenient to recharge and some have a built-in state of charge display on them, and a 12V, 2A rated buck regulator board. You may not need the whole 2A, but margin is nice to have and such can be had on eBay for around $2 delivered.

Ask a Question