Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with power supply

jmsmrc

Aug 6, 2012
Hello all, I have a 3D printer with an S-200-12 power supply. Last Saturday I was printing and a pop came from the power supply. I opened it and saw something had blown. It is labeled RT. I can't find a schematic anywhere so I was wondering if someone knew what it is and where I can get another. I was in another room when I heard the motor making a noise like it was stuck then I heard a pop. When I got to the printer the extruder carriage was all the way to the right and jammed the motor. The printer is a Prusa Mendel I got on Ebay and there is no limit switch to disconnect the motor on the far right. That is supposed to be limited by the software I guess. I am going to add a limit switch so this never happens again. There is also no limit switch on the y axis upper limit so I will be adding one there as well.
Attached are 2 pictures of the blown part. Or whats left anyway. The text behind the lead says AC/L
Thank for any help you can give.

S-200-12.jpg S-200-12 Close up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It was probably an NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistor, used for inrush current limiting. Something like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MF72-010D13/317-1199-ND/1190974

It's also possible there may be other damage to the power supply. If there are, this could cause the replacement inrush current limiter. You should probably get a few spares!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
OK. That's just a typical one. It will probably be fine but I can't promise that. Do you know the rated power consumption of the power supply? Is there a sticker somewhere near the AC power socket with a number of watts (W) or volt-amps (VA) marked on it?

jmsmrc

Aug 6, 2012
I'm at work right now but I'll look when I get home
When i googled the numbers S-200-12 (on a sticker on the side) the internet says it as 16.5 amp 12V power supply